D2-310 Both lights yellow?

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
vr84

D2-310 Both lights yellow?

Post by vr84 »

Hi, setting up my new D2-310, I set the raid 1 and used the reset button for 5 seconds, then added my source drive to slot 1, then following this added the target drive, nothing happened at first so I powered down the device, then restarted it. Since then I have two solid yellow lights top and bottom.

Does this mean the raid 1 is not working and I need to do something else? I can't find any reference to two yellow lights and what the meaning is.
vr84

Re: D2-310 Both lights yellow?

Post by vr84 »

Both could be orange actually, if that exists, can't see anything in the manual mentioning it, but as I removed the target drive and then reinserted it, and powered up the 310 again, both went bright yellow for a second, now both are blinking orange.

Leaving it be for the time being, but nothing is happening like the manual states it should.

I have an image of the old drive, should I just format these two instead of trying to replicate from a source, and restore an image to drive 1? or will raid stop working once the drive is prepared for a new macrium image?
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Seems both orange means both drives are uninitialized and ready to begin creating a raid 1. Luckily I took a past image of the drive expecting this might happen.

Ended up restoring the image to another 4GB drive, setting up the Raid 1 on the blank dual drives, then use windows explorer to move over the files and create a new Raid 1 drive to work from.

I never seem to have any luck when starting a new setup in creating a new Raid 1 using a source drive with data and a blank uninitialized drive in slot 2, seems to always format both of these when I do that. Any idea why this is? Since I take images it's just a time saving thing, but would be a lot faster if I could set Raid 1 with a single drive in slot 1, then simply insert a blank uninitialized drive into drive 2 and have it begin making a mirror.
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Found that it's possible to have a blank raid 1 set up and working, then load a past macrium drive image, much faster than copying all the files over using explorer.

What am I doing wrong however to never be able to insert a regular source drive and have it initiate a raid 1 then move that data onto the empty drive I place in drive 2 location?
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}vr84

Hello, the D2-310 is a simple hard case, this forum feedback is overly complicated.
I suggest you follow my advice to use it.
1. RESET is the RAID mode effective button. If the hard disk used has data, it is not recommended to press the RESET button, and you need to back up the data to use again.
2. Adjust the RAID mode to the factory mode (single disk)
3. Install the HDD to be used on the D2-310, connect the USB to the computer first and turn it on.
3. Complete the booting of the D2 device, and press and hold the Reset button for 5 seconds to restore the HDD and RAID mode to the initial state. On this computer, the disk management item formats the hard disk.
4. Use in single disk mode to confirm whether the HDD is normal, if not, please try to replace the HDD.
5. If you have confirmed that the HDD is in good condition, you can create a RAID1 mode.
6. To create RAID1, keep the product powered on and connected to the computer, adjust the RAID mode to RAID1, and press and hold the RESET button for 5 seconds to make the RAID1 mode take effect.
7. In this computer's disk management, format the hard disk for use.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
vr84

Post by vr84 »

Hi, thanks for the information. Makes sense now.

I thought there might be a way to create a new RAID1 from an existing disk with data already on it, but as you confirmed it formats the drive.

I backed up the data to an image beforehand and managed to import it into the new formatted RAID1 setup, so no problems. Will keep this in mind for the future :)