D4-300 wont recognise ironwolf 6Tb drives

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
bensuffolk

D4-300 wont recognise ironwolf 6Tb drives

Post by bensuffolk »

I have bought 2 brand new 6TB drives. They are Seagate IronWolf NAS drives, but they both jst click loudly for about 20 seconds and then stop. They do not show up on my Mac, or on a Ubuntu 20.04 server.

The supported list shows the older version of these drives as recommended for this enclosure. As these are new the model number is slightly different, its a ST6000VN001, where as the older number that is on the list is a ST6000VN0033. I of course did not know there was a difference, and you can not get the older drives anymore, but I did not expect them to not work.

Has anybody else got a IronWolf drives working? Or is it just unlucky that I have 2 faulty drives brand new out of the box?
crisisacting

Re: D4-300 wont recognise ironwolf 6Tb drives

Post by crisisacting »

If they are clicking upon connection to multiple devices, they are likely defective.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bensuffolk

Please check the hard disk indicator.
If the hard disk indicator is green, use the MAC disk utility to erase the external device;

If the hard drive indicator is off, please confirm whether the hard drive is installed properly. Remove and insert the hard disk to try again.

If the hard drive indicator is orange, the hard drive may be faulty. Please replace your hard drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bensuffolk

Post by bensuffolk »

I have opened a chat with seagate, it just seemed odd to me that 2 brand new units would both be faulty, but I have tried it in a Zyxel NAS enclosure as well and they both click the same in there and are not visible, so it does seem likely they may be faulty.