D5-300C Disk 1 keeps dying!!!!

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
bojennett

D5-300C Disk 1 keeps dying!!!!

Post by bojennett »

I had disk 1 die on me in my 5 bay RAID 5 system (reported degraded, disk 1 light flashing orange). I replaced it. It rebuilt, and then about 2 weeks later it died AGAIN (reported degraded, disk 1 light flashing orange). This I thought was strange, but wondered if maybe I just had bought a bad drive. I bought ANOTHER drive, this one saying it was built for NAS RAID systems, plugged it in, and rebuilt the array. 48 hours later, it was finally rebuilt.

I plugged it in, and within 10 minutes it DIED AGAIN!!!!! I got a "page 0" error or something, with again, degraded and disk 1 light flashing orange.

What the hell is wrong with this thing! This is really pissing me off.
bojennett

Re: D5-300C Disk 1 keeps dying!!!!

Post by bojennett »

Both other times this happened, after swapping the drive, I put the old drive into a USB case, and tried plugging it in, and the drive was truly dead - I could not format it. I'm reluctant to do that with this drive, because I just got it. but if it is dead, I will.

What is going on.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

What kind of drive you installed in the slot 1? brand and model?
To know what happened to your drive, you can install a drive scan tool on our PC and test your all drives in D5-300C, the SMART info will tell the story.
Crystaldiskinfo, WD Disk untilities, Seagate Seatools are all recommanded tools.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bojennett
D5-300C does not support RAID5 mode, its HDD1 and HDD2 can be created RAID1, RAID0 or single mode, HDD3, HDD4, HDD5 are independent single-disk mode, please use it correctly according to your needs. D5-300C installation guide
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bojennett

Post by bojennett »

Sorry - it's the D5-300. I'm sorry I said the D5-300C. I just assumed that because it was the type-C port, but the model number on the bottom is the D5-300.
bojennett

Post by bojennett »

I'm not sure what this would have to do anything. I had 5 WD drives - WD Blue, WD40EZRZ, and drive 1 failed. I can't remember what the first replacement drive was (I just threw it out). But the newest drive is a Seagate Ironwolf ST4000VN008. These are all drives I had researched for being able to be used in NAS/RAID. The manufacture date on this latest drive from Seagate is 1/18/2022. This is NOT an old or cheap drive.
TMroy wrote: 22 Feb 2022, 13:15 What kind of drive you installed in the slot 1? brand and model?
To know what happened to your drive, you can install a drive scan tool on our PC and test your all drives in D5-300C, the SMART info will tell the story.
Crystaldiskinfo, WD Disk untilities, Seagate Seatools are all recommanded tools.