Questions regarding Terramaster D5-300 and D5-300C.

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
guk

Questions regarding Terramaster D5-300 and D5-300C.

Post by guk »

I am looking to purchase a DAS to hold my backups, and the Terramaster D5-300 series looks like a pro missing option, but I have a few question before making a purchase decision.

1) Aside from the USB connector, is there any practical difference between the D5-300 and D5-300C (e.g. difference in performance or functionality)?

2) Do these units provide S/M.A.R.T monitoring capability (not using RAID, just as raw disks)?

3) Do these units support UASP?

4) How easy is it to replace the fans with premium off-the-shelf units such as Noctua fans?

5) Is it possible to purchase spare trays for the drives?

6) Are there any known issues using these units with a ZFS file system running under Linux?

7) What is the longest USB cable that could be used for these units (e.g. would a 2 metre cable work satisfactorily)?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Questions regarding Terramaster D5-300 and D5-300C.

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! It is recommended that you buy the D4-300.
This device has 4 independent controllers, supports 4 independent HDDs, not using RAID.
Support S/M.A.R.T monitoring.
Equipped with dual temperature-controlled smart fans for long life.
2m USB cable is supported, but an extension chip wire is required.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
guk

Post by guk »

What I was hopping to do was use two drives as a ZFS mirror, and 3 drives as a ZFS RAID 5, so that would mean I would have all 5 bays in use, which is why I was looking at the D5-300 series.

Are you suggesting that the D4-300 has better functionality regrading S.M.A.R.T.?

Are you suggesting that something like https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NH144GK/ would not work well with the D4-300 or D5-300?

With thanks for your patience.
TMAY

Post by TMAY »

Hello, regarding your needs, you need to buy D5-300 or D5-300C. For the specific difference between the two, you can go to our official website to check;
The USB cable you have chosen is not suitable for the D5-300, you can buy the one in the picture below:
Attachments
usb.jpg
guk

Post by guk »

The picture is of a USB type C cable.

As I understand it, the D5-300 uses a USB type B connector and not a USB type C connector.

The D5-300C uses a USB type C connector, but that claims only to be USB 3.1 gen 1, not USB 3.1 gen 2.

I did look at your website regarding the differences, I did do that, and as far as I could see, the only differences were the plugs they used (the D5-300 using a type B, and the D5-300C using a type C connector). I wanted to check if there was anything I had overlooked, or if that was the only difference between them?

What about the question I had about my being able to upgrade the fans? Some of the reviews I had heard in the past suggested this was not possible, is this still the case?
guk

Post by guk »

My apologies, I was getting confused between all the models I am looking at.

The D5-300 seems to also have a USB-C connector, so the only difference seems to be the lack of RAID on the D5-300, which does not concern me; although I am finding it difficult to source the D5-300 at present.

There also seems to be a difference in the maximum throughput speed quoted for the two, but that might be because the speed tests on the D5-300C were done with RAID-0, which is simply not an option to do with the D5-300; so very possibly the speeds for independent disks would not be so very different.