Hard Drive Sleep w/ All Power Settings Changed

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
iamthehotfire

Hard Drive Sleep w/ All Power Settings Changed

Post by iamthehotfire »

I have four DC-300C units. When the drives are not being accessed, the led lights on the front go off after some time of being idle. The drives appear to go into some form of sleep or hibernation. The drives are still showing up in Windows Explorer. When the drives haven't been accessed for an extended period of time they take a long time on initial access. This is problematic because I'm farming chia and it's making things so that too many of my proof lookups are beyond the desirable lookup time threshold. I believe this is happening primarily because the drive in some form of sleep or hibernation, has to be spun up, and then accessed.

Steps I've taken so far to try and prevent drive sleep and slow transfer times on disk spin up are below:

Windows Power Settings
Went into advanced power settings and set the "Turn off hard disk after" to 0

USB Settings
I have unchecked the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting on all USB controllers from within the device manager

Drive Disk Properties
I checked the "Better Performance (Enables write caching)" setting on all drives
I checked the "Enable write caching on the device" under Write-caching policy

It does not appear that there are any software downloads from Terramaster that will allow me to control the power settings of my device to prevent this behavior from happening. Are there any solutions that I'm not thinking of? Is there a way to modify storage controllers for USB Attached SCSI (UAS) Mass Storage Device that will prevent any of this sleeping behavior?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: Hard Drive Sleep w/ All Power Settings Changed

Post by TMRyan »

What is your device model? What model is written on the device?

Does it go to sleep after 30 minutes?
https://support.terra-master.com/faqs/t ... _functions

I don’t know if the following content is applicable:
https://support.terra-master.com/faqs/t ... restart_it
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
iamthehotfire

Post by iamthehotfire »

I believe drive hibernation is exactly what's happening. Is there a way to configure or turn off hibernation with my D5 300-C units? I have four units at the moment, is there any terramaster drive management software I can use to turn this feature off? If there isn't an appropriate software package for managing this, is there a USB controller setting I could/should turn off to prevent hibernation, or is there a different windows driver that I can download so that my drives never go into hibernation? I recognize this is supposed to be a power saving feature but I need to turn it off.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
This is a problem about hard disk hibernation.
You can contact support(at)terra-master.com to get more help, and our engineers will handle it for you remotely.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
iamthehotfire

Post by iamthehotfire »

I sent an e-mail to support(at)terra-master.com and referenced this forum thread. I look forward to hearing from the support team soon.
mike2k21

Post by mike2k21 »

I had asked TerraMaster a pre-sales question regarding the hard drives spinning down when idle, which is something I don't want as I have NAS drives in my D5-300C unit. They said that the hard drive sleeping will follow the computer - you can disable this by seetting the sleep time to 0. I've also disabled USB suspend on my PC - things you have already done.

I have had the unit for only about a day now, so far I haven't seen it spin down or anything. I'd be interested to know what your findings are, if TerraMaster gives you a firmware file to update the unit with. I had an issue with one enclosure from another Vendor, and they provided me with a firmware update to cover this type of issue.