D4-300 not recognized on Mac boot, need to re-plug USB

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: D4-300 not recognized on Mac boot, need to re-plug USB

Post by TMroy »

Change a drive and try again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Sorry, what do you mean by "change a drive and try again"?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

To make sure your drive is healthy, change your drives and try again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Repeating the same words back to me is not a useful explanation.

Do you mean you want me to remove the old hard drives and replace them with newly purchased ones? That rather goes against why I bought this unit in the first place. Or do you mean reformat them (again as I've already done that twice) in the hopes that it'll work better the next time? Or do you mean some other sort of "change" before trying again?

Both drives behave exactly the same way seems to make it more likely that the issue is with the enclosure or the Mac. I tried using a USB-A to USB-C adapter to plug the enclosure into one of the Mac mini's USB-C/TB3 sockets, but then it didn't recognize the enclosure at all (!!) which I found surprising.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Based on your feedback, we tested this feature and the result is normal.

Test Conditions:
Use MacBook Pro 19/Mac mini 2020, version 11.5.2.

It is recommended to update the computer to 11.5.2 or try another computer.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Updating to 11.5.2 (from .1) did not fix the issue.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

The problem persists in OSX 12.0.1
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Just because your issue can't be reproduced at our end. We can only tell you the possible solution, and you can try each of them. if none of them works, we do not have a solution for you now. But we do not think such an issue is related to the enclosure, it is mostly because of your hard drive or your computer settings. Your hard drive may not be able to activate after your computer reboot. Or you can try another computer if you have one.

I know you are going to complain: their support does not exist, keep asking me the same question but no solution for me at all. As we do not know what happened in your environment, we do not have an answer for you, sorry. you need to check that by yourself.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Ah, that's another thing I've changed -- I acquired and installed 2 new HDDs, removing the original two I had been using. The problem was unchanged. I don't have another computer to try the enclosure with.

If there are other settings on OSX I can change which might affect this, please let me know.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

This problem persists as of OSX 12.6. I have 3 of the 4 drive bays filled, with 2 new drives and one older one (different type and capacity). None of the drives mount upon a reboot, until I unplug/re-plug the enclosure. This doesn't happen with the StarTech external drive enclosure I also have, nor an external SSD I have. 2 of the 3 drives in the TerraMaster 4-bay unit are used as TimeMachine backup devices, and the 3rd is just a normal drive. All drives indicate as healthy and after the unplug/re-plug process they function correctly.