New NAS drive will not mount

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
NedF

New NAS drive will not mount

Post by NedF »

I have a 5D-300C and for the last year I have been running a couple of Iron wolf 6Tb drives in a Raid configuration with out any problems. I just picked up a 8Tb WD NAS drive but it will not mount. It shows up as a solid green light on the front of the TDAS (bay 3) but the drive will not show up in File Folder or Disk Manager.

I tried plugging the new drive into one of my external drive bases and it showed up in Disk Manager and I was able to Initialize the drive and format it, but when I insert it into the TDAS it does not load?

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: New NAS drive will not mount

Post by TMSupport »

please advise the RAID mode you configured for your HDD1/HDD2;
Did you ever install HDDs in slot 3/4/5 before, was it working?
Could the 8TB WD be used in other slots like slot 4 and 5?
Please also advise the S/N at the bottom of the device.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
NedF

Post by NedF »

I have never tried to install any other drives up until this time. I added the two 6Tb drives right away and set up the Raid.
It is set up as a Raid 1
I have tried putting the drive and the 3 other slots.
I have tried powered down and up in every possible order etc.
I have also tried to add an old 500G drive I have as well and it too will not show up in File Folder or Disk Manager.
The S/N is 200401932
TMSupport wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:38 please advise the RAID mode you configured for your HDD1/HDD2;
Did you ever install HDDs in slot 3/4/5 before, was it working?
Could the 8TB WD be used in other slots like slot 4 and 5?
Please also advise the S/N at the bottom of the device.
NedF

Post by NedF »

Ok I think I fixed it.

I used Device Manager to enable the drive (I left the 2 raid drives unenabled as I assume the DNAS is managing them).

I could now see the drive in Disk Manager but all of the options were grayed out and the drive was showing up with two partitions.

The first partition was a GPT and the other was unallocated.

I used diskpart to convert the drive to MBR.

Then I went back into Disk Manager and used it to convert it back into GPT and it combined the two partitions and allowed me to partition as one big partition and then after I formatted it, it appeared in File Folder.

Thank you,