D2-310 periodically turns itself on

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
satoshi

D2-310 periodically turns itself on

Post by satoshi »

I have a D2-310 DAS that recently has gained sentience and now decides to suddenly turn itself on and you can hear the disks spinning. It is not plugged into my PC. After a short while, you hear a "clunk" as power shuts off and the spinning disks are interrupted. Holding the power button for ~2-3 seconds does nothing.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is there a risk of damaging the disks if there is no data transfer happening when the enclosure shuts down?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: D2-310 periodically turns itself on

Post by TMS »

What type of hard drive that you use. We don’t understand your post. Can you describe one by one according to the time sequence of the incident?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
satoshi

Post by satoshi »

I have two HDDs installed in the enclosure.

The sequence of events are:

1. The DAS is powered off. Only mains is plugged in - it is not connected to any PC.
2. The DAS will power itself on, disks will start spinning and the power light will turn on. The HDD1 and HDD2 lights remain off.
2b. At this point, holding the power button on the enclosure does nothing. The only way to switch off the device is to unplug it from the mains.
3. The DAS will power off - this is as if power was interrupted and the disks will spin down.
4. If the device is left plugged in to the mains, it will continue steps 1-3 every 5-10 minutes.

Hope this clears things up.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

During use, touch the button to turn on the phone, and press and hold the button for 3 seconds to turn off.
This machine has its own power-on function. When you turn it off manually, you need to turn it on manually.
When the device shuts down due to a power failure, it will automatically turn on when the power is turned on.

If your operation is correct, please contact us online.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
satoshi

Post by satoshi »

TMRyan wrote: 28 May 2021, 16:04 During use, touch the button to turn on the phone, and press and hold the button for 3 seconds to turn off.
This machine has its own power-on function. When you turn it off manually, you need to turn it on manually.
When the device shuts down due to a power failure, it will automatically turn on when the power is turned on.

If your operation is correct, please contact us online.
Sorry, I don't think I quite made myself clear. I am dealing with a TerraMaster D2-310 2-bay direct-attached storage (DAS) fitted with 2x HDDs - not a phone. The response that I received isn't particularly relevant to the problem that I am facing.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

D2-310 is an ordinary USB hard disk box, you need to connect to a PC to use.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
satoshi

Post by satoshi »

TMRyan wrote: 28 May 2021, 18:26 D2-310 is an ordinary USB hard disk box, you need to connect to a PC to use.
I'm not sure why you are pointing that out, unless you are telling me that if it's not plugged into a computer, it will do what I described.

My issue is that the DAS is spontaneously turning itself on and off. I'm aware that it's not plugged into my Mac, because if it was, my disks would probably have failed by now.
satoshi

Post by satoshi »

Okay, so since I noticed that the unit has been exhibiting power issues, I have been keeping it switched off and unplugged. Today I tried turning it to backup my iMac, and within 5-10 minutes, the unit abruptly switched itself off while the disks were in use. I have 4TB of important work data mirrored across the two HDDs installed, and this effectively means the unit is unusable. I don't even know if I should switch it back on to check that my disks haven't corrupted.

I have another 4TB HDD that I would like to use to make a temporary copy of the data on the DAS, but I don't think the unit will keep itself long enough for this to happen.

Can anyone suggest what else I could do? If I purchased another D2-310 and installed these disks into that unit, would the disks work?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

It may be a problem with the switch button, please contact our after-sales staff by email.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @