D5-300C: possible to insert drive while unit is powered on?

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
chasg

D5-300C: possible to insert drive while unit is powered on?

Post by chasg »

Hi Terramaster,

I have a D5-300C, and I'd like to know if I can insert a drive into a bay while the unit is powered on. This is not a RAID question, the drive will be a JBOD.

The enclosure is attached to an M1 Mac Mini running OSX 11.2.3 Big Sur

Note: the D5-300C already has a drive inserted in bay 2, which is mounted in the OS (this is why I don't want to turn off the D5-300C before inserting a second disk). I'd like to know if I can add that second drive and have it mount without risk.

And, conversely, I'd like to know that, if I dismount a drive in the Finder (ceasing all data transfer), if I can physically eject it from the D5-300C while it is still powered on (and the drive in bay 2 is still mounted in the Finder).

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Chas
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5-300C: possible to insert drive while unit is powered on?

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
Do you want to form a JBOD with the hard disk already in use and the new hard disk?
This will delete all data on your first hard drive.
Please back up the data before using two hard drives to build JBOD.
You can safely eject the hard drive and leave it in the bay.
HDD1/2 are RAID controllers that do not support hot-swappable operations.
HDD3/4/5 are independent SINGLE mode and support hot swap.Please eject the corresponding HDD first before operation.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
chasg

Post by chasg »

Hi TMRyan, thanks for your reply.

I should have been more simple in my description: is it ok to insert a disk (already with data on it) into slot 5 while the D5-300C is already powered on (and already has a disk in in slot 3, that is already mounted in the Finder).

And can I do the reverse: dismount the disk in slot 5 from the Finder, and then physically pull it from the D5-300C?

I _think_ you've already answered these two questions, I just need to be sure (I don't want to risk data loss, or risk some sort of problem with electrical shorts/arc when I insert a disk into the enclosure).

Cheers!

Chas
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

HDD 3/4/5 slots support hot-swappable HDD, you can do this, but it is not recommended to do this for a long time, because the HDD is easily damaged. It is best to replace the HDD in the off state, which can extend the life of the HDD.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
chasg

Post by chasg »

very helpful info, thanks.