D5-300C Device Resets

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
t3d

D5-300C Device Resets

Post by t3d »

Hi there,

I've had my D5-300C for about a month now. The unit looks nicely constructed, but I'm having consistent issues. When there is any sort of sustained data reading/writing going on, the device requires constant resetting by the operating system.

Initially, I had 3 4TB drives in a software RAID 5. However, after about a week of use (and lots of resets) the system lost all the data. Since it was a backup this wasn't a problem.

Since the manufacturer recommends not using software RAID, I reconstituted the drives into individual mount points on the OS and once again tried running my backups. The reset errors manifested immediately. Please advise, is my unit faulty? Is there some additional configuration required? Thank you.

Reset messages:

Code: Select all

kernel: scsi host0: uas_eh_device_reset_handler start
kernel: usb 2-2: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Device number will vary depending on which drive is reading or writing.

Details:

I'm running CentOS 7.9.2009 on a Raspberry Pi4 8gb. Kernel 5.4.88-v7l.1.el7
The DAS contains one WD 4TB RED drive and two Seagate 4TB Ironwolf drives
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5-300C Device Resets

Post by TMS »

t3d wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 22:33 When there is any sort of sustained data reading/writing going on, the device requires constant resetting by the operating system.
Hello,
1.can you take some screenshots for explanation
2. Are your hard disks healthy? viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
t3d

Post by t3d »

Hi there,

Thanks for responding. Since it's three brand new drives from two different manufacturers, hard drive health seems unlikely.

I'll post a screenshot later today, but it's going to literally show you the exact error message I posted. Any other troubleshooting advice? Surely, I'm not the first person to have this issue.
t3d

Post by t3d »

Here's the screenshot as promised.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 1.49.57 PM.png
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
The D5-300C has a hardware RAID function. It is not recommended that you use third-party RAID software. The error message comes from the hard disk error. It is recommended that you back up the data first and try to reformat it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
t3d

Post by t3d »

As mentioned in my first post, I am no longer using RAID of any kind and have reformatted the drives.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Do you store USB device data to D5-300C?
The error message comes from the USB device error and please check the USB device?
t3d

Post by t3d »

The D5-300 IS the USB device.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,

I guess your TDAS cannot connect to the virtual machine stably.
You can try to check the hardware options in the virtual machine configuration and set the USb connection preferences to connect to the running virtual machine.
Enable VMware USB Arbitration Service in the host, and then edit the configuration of the virtual machine when the virtual machine is not started, and set the USB controller.
Finally, start the virtual machine, insert the USB flash drive, and see if the usb icon in the lower right corner is lit, and it can be used normally when it is lit.
You can search the Internet for specific operations.

note:
The virtual machine and the host cannot respond to a USB device at the same time.
If you cannot scan the USB flash drive, turn off the virtual machine first, remove the USB flash drive, turn on the virtual machine and reinsert the USB flash drive.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
t3d

Post by t3d »

TMRyan,

Is this answer for a different customer? I’m not running VMWare or other virtual machine software, nor am I using a thumb drive.

I have a TerraMaster D5-300C, which is your five disk USB-C product, directly connected to a Linux host. When I perform extended reading and writing operations on any disk in the TDAS, I get USB bus reset errors. A simple google search indicates two potential causes for these problems:

1) the usb device is getting inadequate power. I assume your power supply is properly rated for your product?

2) the firmware implementation on the interface chip in the USB device does not fully conform to the UAS specification. This seems far more likely to me.

In either case, this is your issue to fix, and I’m unlikely to be the only customer with this complaint. If there is a third possibility, I’m keen to hear it. But I’m rapidly getting frustrated with responses that in no way correspond with my situation or equipment.