Large and RAID1 not recognized after Catalina upgrade

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
caesars

Large and RAID1 not recognized after Catalina upgrade

Post by caesars »

Help!

I just upgraded to macOS Catalina and my drives are no longer recognized by my Disk Utility.

RAID master was installed when my Mac was running High Sierra. It was upgraded to Mojave, then Catalina.

Once upgraded to Catalina, Disk Utility can see there are 2 drives (1 is an 8T RAID 1 RAID1 disk, the other is a 28TB JBOD disk).

So, it looks like the defined drives in the enclosure are intact, just that Disk Utility doesn't understand what they are.

Booting up from High Sierra disk doesn't recognize the drives.

Is the enclosure a Hardware RAID or using Software drivers? If Software, that's a huge problem.

How can I fix this? Reinstall RAID Manager?

Thanks, Caesar.
caesars

Re: Large and RAID1 not recognized after Catalina upgrade

Post by caesars »

Installing raid manager did not fix this.

The partitions had been deleted.

Dr. Drill recovery app found the deleted partition and restoring files now.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
Please confirm your product model, D5-300 or D5 THUNDERBOLT 3 product. Can our engineers perform remote inspection? You can send an email to our technical team. We will arrange staff to help you find the problem on working days.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
caesars

Post by caesars »

It is a D5-300C.

No need for inspection. It might have been due to upgrade to Mojave, then Catalina. Somewhere there the partitions got deleted.

The RAID definitions are intact without installing HW RAID Manager (so I'm assuming no kernel extensions were installed and not required?).

For anyone experiencing this problem, LEAVE THE DEFINED RAID as is, do not attempt to repair it, even though Disk Utility recognizes the drive as a Mac Extended disk.

I successfully recovered the 8 TB partition using Disk Drill 3. I selected the RAID drive (something like disk1s2 ...) then clicked Recovery. DD recognized the lost partition. I selected the Lost Partition scan and recovered the entire contents of the partition to another disk. USE A DISK WITH SUFFICIENT FREE SPACE. DO NOT restore to the deleted partition, that will wipe out the data.

Hope this helps someone.