Failed RAID rebuild

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
ngr1

Failed RAID rebuild

Post by ngr1 »

Good Afternoon everyone.

I have a D5-300 with 5 HDD in a RAID 5 array. One of the disks went bad and needed to be replaced.
The Older drives are - Western Digital WD Red WD50EFRX 3.5” SATA 5TB
The New drive is - Western Digital WD Red Plus (CMR) WD60EFRX 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 6TB 5400rpm

I hotswapped the drives, On replacement of the drive it span up but shortly afterwards went idle, indicated by intially showing green indicator followed by no indicator on the enclosure unit. so I intialized the disk through Computer mangement which now has it showing as a standalone volume.

Does anyone know how can I reintegrate this to the Current RAID5?

Thank you in advance for your help.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: Failed RAID rebuild

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
You may encounter the following problem.
1. RAID5 has relatively high requirements for hard disks. It is necessary to use hard disks with the same brand and capacity to pair the RAID mode.
2. If the RAID reconstruction fails , it may be a problem with the hard disk. Please replace it in time and try again.

Note: When replacing a new hard disk, the new hard disk does not require any partitioning or operations.If the hard disk that you plan to join the repair array has a volume, you need to delete the volume and then insert the DAS after backing up the disk data.
When there is data in the disk planned to be used to repair the array, please back up the data first. After the array is repaired, the data on the disk will become the data in the array and no longer have the original data.

How do you recover data if one of the hard drives fails after creating a RAID5 on a D5-300 model?

The steps for data recovery are as follows:
1. The device must be powered-on and remain connected to your computer when replacing the faulty hard drive. The capacity of the new hard drive must be greater than or equal to the capacity of the faulty one.
2. After replacement of the faulty hard drive, data will be automatically restored. The time required for data recovery is related to the hard drive capacity, and can range from several hours to dozens of hours. During data recovery, both the device and your computer must remain turned on, however.
3. During data recovery, the indicator on the new hard drive will flash orange.
4. When all hard drive indicators are constantly lit, data recovery is completed.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
ngr1

Post by ngr1 »

I have since wiped the new drive again so that it should be in factory conditions. This was done using the Terramaster. I have tried reinserting the drive following the advice within the reply but still not having any joy in getting it to rebuild, I have tried this following turning the unit off and on as well as hotswapping. I have included screenshots of how it is being viewed in both management software's for reference. As you can see the drive is detected and working but is shown as separate to the RAID array. could you please pass along any suggestions you have on how to get this to integrate? as there doesnt appear to be any software options for this.

Thanks
Nick
Attachments
oldsoftware screenshot2.png
oldsoftware screenshot.png
newsoftware screenshot.jpg
computer management.jpg
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
Does the indicator corresponding to the new hard drive flash orange? Maybe you need to wait about 17 hours.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
ngr1

Post by ngr1 »

In responce to your last comment the drive has been showing solid unwavering green, whilst the others are flickering from writing (backing up) everything to a new device.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
When all the lights stop flashing, is Raid 5 repaired successfully?
ngr1

Post by ngr1 »

No unfortunatly the drive is still showing as a separate volume in computer managmement although the green indicator lights are now flashing in sync
Attachments
Drive Status.jpg
Drive Status.jpg (21.9 KiB) Viewed 4303 times
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
The new hard disk is not compatible with RAID5, it may be because of different hard disk capacity.
Please replace the hard disk with the same capacity and the same brand to try RAID5 reconstruction.
ngr1

Post by ngr1 »

Thanks for your help on this, If using another disk is my only option at this point I wanted to know if you could please advise on a replacement.
The RAID drives are - Western Digital WD Red WD50EFRX 3.5” SATA 5TB unfortunatly these are no longer avalible.
Any advice would be most welcome.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
It is recommended to replace the same hard disk. If it still does not work, you can send an email to our support team, and we will arrange for someone to handle it remotely.