D4-300 Not recognized on new computer

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
starboysfo

D4-300 Not recognized on new computer

Post by starboysfo »

Hoping someone with a bit more experience can assist here...

I recently created a RAID5 on an external USB DAS (TerraMaster D4-300) using Storage Spaces in the Control Panel of Win 10 Pro, build 1909 (an HP Envy Phoenix 810). Works great on the computer I created it with, but that computer is aging. Replaced it with a new Win10 Pro (Acer Predator
PO3-600-UD19), upgraded it to build 1909 also. It works GREAT on the original machine that I created the RAID5 pool on; but when I plug the USB into the new box, I hear the Windows system sound recognizing a new device...but nothing shows either in either Windows Explorer or in Computer Management/Disk Management. When I go into Control Panel/Storage Spaces, the RAID5 doesn't appear there, either; it just offers the opportunity to create a new pool on the internal drives. Same exact behavior when I plug it into my work laptop, Win10 Enterprise Build 1909.

I then plug it back into the original computer it was created on, and bingo, it shows up like it should, works perfectly. The D4-300 says that it's driverless/plug&play, so there aren't any drivers to install/update. Even though I didn't install the TerraMaster RAID Manager on the original HP machine, I went ahead and installed it on the new Acer to see if it would help--yet it also says that there's no device detected. All four drives show green on the D4-300, and again, it works as expected when I plug it into the old HP computer. Neither the new box nor my laptop can recognize it.

What am I missing here? How can I plug my TerraMaster D4-300 RAID5 into a new computer and get to my files?? If this thing can only be used on the original computer the RAID was created on, what use is it???

Thanks in advance for any help!
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: D4-300 Not recognized on new computer

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

Can your new computer recognize other USB flash disks now?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
starboysfo

Post by starboysfo »

Yes, I'm able to attach other USB drives with no problem. One thing I did notice is that the four drives in the TerraMaster do show up in the Devices and Printers--which might be why the Windows system sound dings when attaching the TerraMaster to the new computer. It's recognizing that it's been plugged in as a device, but isn't getting recognized as a drive.

Also I notice that when I plug the TerraMaster back into the old computer, there's about a minute when it says's there's an error with the device, but after the minute passes it changes from error to OK, and I can use it normally on the old computer. It may be just that it takes that long for it to recognize the parity drive setup, but thought I'd mention it in case.

Let me know if there's anything else I should test, thanks!
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

I checked the relevant product information. The D4-300 model is a 4 single-disk hard disk enclosure, which does not support RAID mode.
We cannot help you with the use of third-party software to create RAID5, the hard disk partition or file system is damaged.
If you create a RAID on an old PC, and then update the PC, the fault occurs, the original problem is the RAID architecture or Windows version.

Have a good day!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
starboysfo

Post by starboysfo »

Aha, didn't realize that this model doesn't support RAID when I got it... thanks for the info.

Return to “USB Series”