TerraMaster D5-300C powering off/on randomly

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
RhonBhay

TerraMaster D5-300C powering off/on randomly

Post by RhonBhay »

Bought this from Amazon,have own this unit for about 4 months now. Initially it work fine , no issues with it. I connected it to my Terra master NAS F2-210. After about 3 months ( pass the return window date) the unit, started acting weird, I cannot finish transferring files to it because it started to shut down and then power up again. . . it did this randomly, sometimes after 30 mins sometimes 5 mins or just keeps shutting down and then powering up even before you can access the files in the drives . So, I immediately remove my drives (5 8TB WD) . All my drives are new. Tested them before I put it in the enclosure my drives are good. I configured it all as single drives. I use the provided USB C cable and power supply. I connected it to 3 PCs 2 of them are new with USB 3.1. I also connected it to another NAS from terra master (F4-210) . And the issue is still there. The unit randomly shuts off and power up even when I remove the drives. I tested my new and good drives after this and they all have CRC issues , that where not there before. I give up don't know whats wrong with the unit. Hopefully you can advise me on what to do with it.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: TerraMaster D5-300C powering off/on randomly

Post by TMS »

Check whether the power supply is correct or try to install one other hard disk (except for 5 8TB WD) in the D5_300c machine and whether it still be power off/on randomly?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

TMS wrote: 22 Dec 2020, 22:24 Check whether the power supply is correct or try to install one other hard disk (except for 5 8TB WD) in the D5_300c machine and whether it still be power off/on randomly?
I did that already. I use the provided USB C cable and power supply. I also tried different drives 4TB, 3TB, 1TB..WD/Seagate/HGST . . . Still the same . . .
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Please take a video to show us, if it is determined that the switch is broken, we provide after-sales service.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

TMS wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 22:47 Please take a video to show us, if it is determined that the switch is broken, we provide after-sales service.
Can I post the video in this forum? How do I do that? I did sent you an e-mail with a video file attachment a week ago,have not received a response yet.
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

TMS wrote: 23 Dec 2020, 22:47 Please take a video to show us, if it is determined that the switch is broken, we provide after-sales service.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... yQPO8S.mp4
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The power control board seems to be defected. please contact with support team and ask for replacement.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

TMroy wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 14:57 The power control board seems to be defected. please contact with support team and ask for replacement.
No response from the support team still.
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

There were 3 other cases in the Amazon.ca forum that are identical.it seems it is a common failure of this unit , which occurs 3 to 4 months after initial use. This problem does not only corrupt the drives in it, but also damages your USB terminal, due to the random rapid powering on/off.It corrupted 1 of my 8TB WD red drive and made one of my PC's USB 3.0 back terminal unusable.
RhonBhay

Post by RhonBhay »

I finally got the replacement yesterday. It works fine so far , let see after 3 to 4 months from now. I do have to pay for the $20 shipping cost of the defective product back to them. I have lost my confidence in this product, so I'm not risking putting any new drives, or important files in them . It cost me just about the same if I had gotten a more expensive product than this. The 8TB drive it corrupted, the time I lost from transferring large amount of the data (data recovery),so it almost doubled it's cost.

Return to “USB Series”