D2-310 Spinning on Mac and replacing with SSD

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
cpalanzo

D2-310 Spinning on Mac and replacing with SSD

Post by cpalanzo »

I have a D2-310 configured in Raid 1 using 2 identical Hitachi 3TB SATA hard drives.
It seems to work okay - connected via USB 3 to the latest Mac Mini Running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6

However - the drive seems to be active al lot - both LEDs blinking - and is noisy. Sometimes my whole system freezes until the drive spins up - then it starts working. Note: The external drive is NOT my startup disk - I have an internal SSD in the mini which is the startup disk.

How can I figure out why your external drive is active? It does have a Time Machine partition.

Also - I would like to replace the current pair of Hitachi 3TB Sata drivers with SSD drives... how can I do this easily?

Can I replace ONE SATA drive with an SSD and let the system replicate? Then replace the second and let it replicate? So I end up with only SSD Drives?

I think they will be faster and less noisy.

Advise please.

Charlie
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: D2-310 Spinning on Mac and replacing with SSD

Post by TMS »

Yes, but your capacity will not be large enough, please refer to this list of compatible SSD:https://www.terra-master.com/global/compatibility/
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
cpalanzo

Post by cpalanzo »

I'm not using the full 3 TB on the current drives - using only 1 TB or so...

If I purchase TWO of the 2 TB SSD's how do I easily do the install?

Can I remove one 3TB disk and replace it with a 2TB SSD? - will the drive then replicate to it? Since it is in RAID 1 mode?

Then when that is done - replace the remaining 3TB with the other 2TB SSD?

Will this work? If not - what is the method.

Also - why does the drive spin and activate - even during the night? There are no new files being created... this is not the system disk.

Please see attached screen shot of disk utility that shows HOW my Mac views the drive. I created a snapshot with details for each item in the Terramaster..

Please advise...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.21.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.21.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.21.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.21.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.21.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.20.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-14 at 8.20.51 AM.png
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

cpalanzo wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 21:23
Can I remove one 3TB disk and replace it with a 2TB SSD? - will the drive then replicate to it? Since it is in RAID 1 mode?

Then when that is done - replace the remaining 3TB with the other 2TB SSD?

Will this work? If not - what is the method.
It is not feasible to replace raid1 with low capacity, you can only find other larger storage disks to backup data (not smaller than the disk size of RAID 1)
Also - why does the drive spin and activate - even during the night? There are no new files being created... this is not the system disk.
It may be synchronizing data or a background program is in use
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
cpalanzo

Post by cpalanzo »

So if I buy 2 of the Seagate 3.84 Lone Wolf SSD's then I can use one first - then swap out the second? (Too expensive probably.)

Or

Can I remove ONE of my drives - it has a full copy of the data - and connect it using a hard disk/usb Dock to the Mac as another external drive. Then I can reconfigure the D2-310 with SSD's and just copy the data back onto the smaller Raid 1? (Since I only have about 1 TB of real data saved.)
Yes?

How can I tell if it is synchronizing data? Doesn't seem right - this happens also in the middle of the night when the computer has not been used for hours.

How can I tell if a background task is using the disk?

What would you recommend?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

cpalanzo wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 09:40 (Since I only have about 1 TB of real data saved.)
If there is only 1TB data, of course you can, first take out the first 3T, put into a 2T disk to form single, and then copy your 1T data from 3T disk to 2T disk. After the copy is completed, shut down, pull out the second 3T disk, and then put into the second 2T disk, and migrate with the original 2T disk array to RAID1。
How can I tell if a background task is using the disk?
Go to Control Panel>Resource Monitoring>View Process
cpalanzo

Post by cpalanzo »

Okay - that makes sense.
Using the TerraMaster I have to
1. turn off the TM and MAC
2. take out one 3 TB drive, add in the 2 TB drive - so now there is the original 3TB and a new 2 TB SSD in the TM
3. switch the mode to raid 0 - this will show TWO drives now, a 2 TB SSD empty and the original 3TB - correct? in one chassis?
4. copy data from 3TB to 2 TB SSD
5. power terra master off again - removed 3 TB add in second 2TB - switch to Raid 1 and turn on - let it migrate.

yes?

There is NO control panel on my MAC --- so I assume I need to use the terminal and search for busy processes?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Sorry, I misread your Das as Nas before. At present, you can only make a backup first, and restore or replace it with a larger capacity disk after the establishment of 2*2T RAId1.