D5-300C: Can't Create a Spanned Volume

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
chicagonature

D5-300C: Can't Create a Spanned Volume

Post by chicagonature »

Hi!

I just purchased a D5-300C and, according to the B&H Photo website (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... drive.html), the unit handles JBOD. However, I just tried to SPAN two single drives (3TB + 5TB) using Windows 10 Pro OS, and I get the error message in the Windows “Virtual Disk Manager” window: “The operation is not supported by the object.”

Each drive works fine on its own.

Why isn't this working? Could it be that I need a different product?

Thanks!
Mike
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5-300C: Can't Create a Spanned Volume

Post by TMS »

What is the raid array of your D5-300C?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

chicagonature wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 06:01 Hi!

I just purchased a D5-300C and, according to the B&H Photo website (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... drive.html), the unit handles JBOD. However, I just tried to SPAN two single drives (3TB + 5TB) using Windows 10 Pro OS, and I get the error message in the Windows “Virtual Disk Manager” window: “The operation is not supported by the object.”

Each drive works fine on its own.

Why isn't this working? Could it be that I need a different product?

Thanks!
Mike
As all drivers inside the device actually are behind a USB hub, there is not a specific path for each drive, in this case, you are not able to create VHD file on D5-300C.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
chicagonature

Post by chicagonature »

TMroy wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:23 As all drivers inside the device actually are behind a USB hub, there is not a specific path for each drive, in this case, you are not able to create VHD file on D5-300C.
Thanks for the guidance. Does this mean that all devices connect by USB will not work? For instance, my last device was eSATA and it worked fine. But USB 3.0 will not? Would Ethernet work for JBOD?

Thanks!
Mike
chicagonature

Post by chicagonature »

I was able to span the drives after putting them into the computer. Therefore, nothing is wrong with the drives, and the D5-300C is a piece of junk. I sent it back to store as defective. Then I bought a QNAP TR-004 for the same price.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

chicagonature wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 07:25 I was able to span the drives after putting them into the computer. Therefore, nothing is wrong with the drives, and the D5-300C is a piece of junk. I sent it back to store as defective. Then I bought a QNAP TR-004 for the same price.
I have told you that Virtual Disk manager is not able to configure a built-in USB hub external device like D5-300C. You should pick the model D5-300 by instead, with this D5-300, you can set SPAN directly without help from Virtual Disk manager.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)