D5-300 Copying slows, halts, then crashes the computer

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
jonmgreen

D5-300 Copying slows, halts, then crashes the computer

Post by jonmgreen »

Hello,

I just purchased the D5-300 with 5 WD 8TB Red drives.
I went through the configuration process as described, the drive was all setup fine.
I started to copy files, it was going very fast, then it slowed down, eventually pauses copying, then a few minutes later the entire computer crashes and restarts.

I'm running a 16" MacBook Pro on Catalina, 10.15.7
I'm using the original cable with the Apple USB A to USB C adapter, and I've seen no issues with it and other drives. No other external drives cause this issue.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5-300 Copying slows, halts, then crashes the computer

Post by TMzethar »

Can you let us know from which device you copied to which device. Are your other devices also high-speed transmission devices? Does your Mac ever have problems with high-speed transmission? Of course this is just a guess, but it would be nice if you could try it out with some other high-speed transmission device. Also, are you using an original power source and an ac environment that meets the requirements?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
daisie678

Post by daisie678 »

Maybe your older device doesn't support fast data transfer, I recently bought the same model SSD from an online store by using a Computer Accessories Coupon and it works perfectly on my system.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has found a way to resolve the issue, as I am facing the same issue. Under Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7 on a 2015 MacBook Pro with USB3 I see the drives but copying files results in crashes. Also, Disk Utility also has trouble formatting or erasing the drives. When I use the disks in other hard drive enclosures, I have no problem reading or writing at high speed.
the d5-300 is not setup in a RAID and I am using all original cables and power adapter
Please help.
Thank you
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

It's possibly the reason of your HDD. Please try to install only one healthy HDD in your device to see whether it occurs again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Ron

Post by Ron »

Yes, my last tests have been made on single hard drives. I have tried different Sata II and III hard drive but same results.
My last test was trying to format a 500Gb drive on Windows, but its been hours now and I am still a 1%.
Someone told me I should only use the drives listed on your compatibility list, which to me didn't make any sense since I have seen no one describing compatibility issues with HD, can you please confirm? With my latest test, The drive doesn't work on Mac and despite initial thoughts it seems it doesn't really work on windows either.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

You can check this link to get the compatible HDDs for DAS https://www.terra-master.com/us/compatibility/
Since your HDD is not working on your Mac nor Windows. It's better to replace it with a new HDD.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Ron

Post by Ron »

I am getting confused. I was told pretty much any hard drive would work with the d5-300. Terra-master even mentions WD GREEN hard drives, which is not in the list btw, I have tried 7 different working hard drives from WD or Seagate and you are telling me to buy new hard drives to work on your device..You are telling me that everyone who uses D5-300 has bought new hard drives or has one of the few hard drives listed there in stock?
I am sorry but I doubt it.

Here is what I found here on the FAQ :

"Model D2-310/D4-310/D4-300/D5-300 has low requirements for hard drives, making all types of hard drives, including 3.5-inch SATA II/III hard drive, 2.5-inch SATA II/III hard drive, and 2.5-inch SATA SSDs, appropriate. However, using hard drives of the same brand and model is required for RAID creation. Please check the list of applicable hard drives on the official TerraMaster website"

So what is low requirement then? Im sorry but I am starting to believe, that the product is simply not working correctly. Is there any way to test that?