Periodic ticking noise in 3.5" HDD for D5-300C

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
huckleberry

Periodic ticking noise in 3.5" HDD for D5-300C

Post by huckleberry »

Hello,

I recently installed a 3.5" HDD in my D5-300C. Every ten seconds or so there is a "tock" sound which may be a normal reading noise but it is a little unsettling. Sometimes several happen in quick succession. Does anybody know what this is? Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Periodic ticking noise in 3.5" HDD for D5-300C

Post by TMSupport »

please keep the D5-300C diskless to see if it still make the "tock" sound. If no, the unit itself is ok, and it should be the sound of HDD reading/writing.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If you installed the Raid manager or other third party storage management tools? If yes, close the program or tool.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ScotBoy12

Post by ScotBoy12 »

Hi there,

I'm having the exact same issue with the same model. It happened previously then disappeared - it's now come back. It's only drives 1&2 with are in RAID 1.

These drives contain my personal photo collection and no program is open to access these drives yet it ticks 24/7. As we're working from home it's become extremely annoying and I have to now turn the unit off when not using it.

Any help appreciated!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

There is program or application keep active your drive, you need to find out the program and close it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
ScotBoy12

Post by ScotBoy12 »

Do you have any idea how I could go about that? Thought of this previously but couldn't find a way to source the software accessing the drives. I'm running Mac OS X Catalina
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I don’t know. Maybe you can try it on another computer, and find out what is different in the running programs.