D4-300: Only mount those that have a HDD inside

USB RAID storage for photographers, music producers, movie collectors
wolfseye

D4-300: Only mount those that have a HDD inside

Post by wolfseye »

Hi guys

i just got the D4-300 today. Right now I start off with one HDD, more to come over time. But for the moment, the amount of drive letters i have free is very minimal. Already using up all the drive slots in the D4-300, although only in 1 is a HDD present. Why does it not only mount the one that is connected, instead of all 4 ? Is there no way to do that ?
Thanks.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Re: D4-300: Only mount those that have a HDD inside

Post by TMzethar »

Sorry, I don't seem to understand what you mean. Do you mean that you don't want to see 4 mount disks at the same time but only one?
What do you expect?
What do you actually see?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
wolfseye

Post by wolfseye »

Hi, its like this. I just got it, and so far I only use 1 Harddisk in it. Personally i thought that those 4 bays would only activate with all HDDs in it. Not take drive Letters from the start for each bay, although there is no HDD in it yet. Might be a while before I add more drives into it. and i am very very close to the end of available drive Letters in the Alphabet in Windows. So the Device taking 4 drive Letters without even all Disks being inside it even, kinda got me by surprise. Would make more sense to me if each bays drive Letter would only be used / needed when a disk is inside.

All I could do for the Moment is to deactivate all 3 other bays in Drive Management in Windows , until that time comes i add more harddisks in it. at that point i need to see how to solve the issue not having much available drive Letters left.

I'd say.as it is right now it's rather inconvenient having to literally disable those Bays without drives.

i hope you understand now. Thank you for your reply.
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

This may help you surpass the 26 drive letter limit: https://superuser.com/questions/293922/ ... in-windows