Brand new D5 T3 strange behaviour, possibly faulty?

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
CraftyClown

Brand new D5 T3 strange behaviour, possibly faulty?

Post by CraftyClown »

I recently purchased and set up a D5 Thunderbolt enclosure and populated it with 5 x 4TB WD Reds. The driver set up went fine on my Mac mini with OS Ventura and I have been attempting to copy 12TB of data from a USB backup drive.
On the first attempt I had managed to copy approx 3TB before the alarm went of on the RAID and on the front of the device I could see the drive lights one by one flashing from green to red, until all the lights were red. The RAID Pro software could still see the device but listed all of the drives as offline. After a power cycle of the D5 it came back online with no errors reported on any of the drives.
I restarted the transfer before I went to bed, but when I got up this morning the transfer had failed and the D5 couldn't be detected by the RAID Pro software. There were no alarms and the only light on the front of the D5 was the green power light. After a reboot of the Mac, the RAID was visible again. Once again there were no errors reported on any of the disks themselves, however in the event log I have write errors listed for each drive

An write error occured on the disk 'WDC WD40EFZX-68AWUN0-WD-WX42D21AYX3S' at RAID 1-Channel4: LBA 0x6bc38c00 sectors 0x80.
An write error occured on the disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E0145063' at RAID 1-Channel1: LBA 0x6bc38c00 sectors 0x80.
An write error occured on the disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E4CRFXHA' at RAID 1-Channel5: LBA 0x6bc38c00 sectors 0x80
An write error occured on the disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E7ARLC9V' at RAID 1-Channel2: LBA 0x6bc38c00 sectors 0x80
An write error occured on the disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E2XN29JT' at RAID 1-Channel3: LBA 0x6bc38b80 sectors 0x80

followed shortly after by drive failures

Disk 'WDC WD40EFZX-68AWUN0-WD-WX42D21AYX3S' at RAID 1-Channel4 failed.
Disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E2XN29JT' at RAID 1-Channel3 failed
Disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E7ARLC9V' at RAID 1-Channel2 failed
Disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E4CRFXHA' at RAID 1-Channel5 failed
Disk 'WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0-WD-WCC4E0145063' at RAID 1-Channel1 failed

Does this look like a faulty device?
If I need to move the drives to a new device will the data be immediately recognised? Or would I need to rebuild the RAID and start the process of copying over again?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Brand new D5 T3 strange behaviour, possibly faulty?

Post by TMroy »

which RIAD level did you set up? are your drives all brand new?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Hi TMroy, the array is set as RAID5 and the drives were not brand new, I had bought them over from a Windows (storage spaces) set up, however there are no issues being reported with the drives
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Seems odd that the different drives are all showing an error at the same Logical Block Address?
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Charlie_Croker wrote: 03 Jan 2023, 22:00 Seems odd that the different drives are all showing an error at the same Logical Block Address?
Does this sound like a hardware issue with the enclosure?

I have continued copying data to the drive and it has been successfully moving for about 5 hours now without issue, however I am rather nervous that it could fail at any moment.

As I have only had the enclosure a few days I can easily return it to Amazon and get them to send out a new one if this is potentially faulty.

The only thing I have changed this morning is ensuring the Mac mini does not have a screen saver set to come on, the machine is not allowed to go to sleep and that drives are unable to power down, however I'd be surprised if this is related
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

you better check if all your drives are healthy, you can try with one drive only at no-raid mode. For Raid 5, only one drive is allowed to be faulty.
You can return the enclosure if you worry about it, but please do not buy a new one again, please, just go for another brand.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

All of the drives are showing as healthy in the Raid Pro software. Are you suggesting to test them a different way?

I'm confused about your other comment, are you advising me not to use Terramaster devices and go on another brand?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The Raid manager app only can test the drive with a short SMART test, I worry there is more than one drive that is faulty in your RAID 5, which leads to all drives write failure. I recommend you test your drives with other disk utilities and make sure the drives are healthy before you change a new one.
CraftyClown

Post by CraftyClown »

Ah, understood thank you

I would be very surprised if there were suddenly issues with more than one drive, as I had harddrive sentinel running on my windows machine and none of the drives had reported any errors