File Copy Performance - D2 Thunderbolt 3

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
DONeill64

File Copy Performance - D2 Thunderbolt 3

Post by DONeill64 »

Hello,
I don't understand the poor File Copy performance I am getting from my new D2 Thunderbolt 3.
It's configured for RAID 0, with two Seagate 16TB drives (spec below).
I installed CrystalDiskMark and ran against the D2 - Read is 403 MB/s, write is 326 MB/s. Slower than the reviews, but that is a separate issue.

Next I copied a large set of files to my lighting fast SSD (980 Pro) and the used Windows Copy/Paste to the Terra D2 drive - 80 MB/s, max.

What gives? I was expecting something in the 100s of MB/s, not under 100. Is it a Thunderbolt config issue?

Dean ONeill
Redmond WA

Drives - Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB NAS Hard Drive 7200 RPM 256MB Cache CMR SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal HDD ST16000NE000403
DONeill64

Re: File Copy Performance - D2 Thunderbolt 3

Post by DONeill64 »

I should mention this is with a Thunderbolt 4 Cable, 1.2 meters.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

The ST16000NE000403 you are using has a theoretical read and write speed of 250MB/s. If it is in RAID0, the theoretical read and write speed can reach: 480/500MB/s.
The test condition is to copy a 30GB single file on Windows.
There are several parameters you need to pay attention to in the CrystalDiskMark test. Generally, the parameters of the Seq single queue shall prevail.
Other Seq_Q32t1, 4K_Q32t1, 4K. It will only be practically used in video editing or multi-queue. Of course it is also related to HDD.
The use of SSD [980Pro] may be related to the actual read and write size of files. SSD is suitable for experience under CrystalDiskMark conditions.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
DONeill64

Post by DONeill64 »

Thanks for the reply.

I did a bunch of real-world tests this morning, and what I learned is that Windows file copy speeds are highly dependent on the size of the files. With huge TIFFs of 500MB or larger, I was indeed getting up to 460MB per second. Which is awesome. But if its a lot of 5MB files, speeds are below 100MB per second.
Now that I have learned this all, I am quite happy with the D2!

Dean ONeill
Redmond WA