D5 TB: DP doesn't drive display

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
chasg

D5 TB: DP doesn't drive display

Post by chasg »

Hi,

If I plug a monitor into the DP port on my D5 Thunderbolt, the monitor does not turn on (it does not get a video signal from my computer).

I am using a Mac M1 Mini, with Terramaster thunderbolt driver 4.23.6 (as per instructions on this page: viewtopic.php?f=85&t=2462

This monitor _does_ turn on when I connect it directly to my M1 Mac Mini, there is nothing wrong with the cable, or the monitor.

The D5 works in all other ways (drives inside of it mount on my Mac, and the downstream thunderbolt port will connect external thunderbolt drives to my Mac). Only the DP port doesn't seem to work.

Can you help?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: D5 TB: DP doesn't drive display

Post by TMSupport »

Is your monitor an HDMI interface? If it is an HDMI interface, you need to use a chip conversion cable to fully display.
If D5 is already a DP interface, and the monitor is also a DP interface, it can be displayed using an ordinary DP cable.
Please note that HDMI monitors must use cables with chip conversion to recognize DP displays.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
chasg

Post by chasg »

Thank you for your answer.

My monitor uses a DVI connector, and I have a DP to DVI adaptor that I'm using to connect my monitor to my D5.

To connect it directly to my M1 Mac Mini, I use a USB-C to DVI adaptor, and that setup works (my monitor turns on and displays my Mac's interface).

I know that this isn't as simple as plugging my monitor directly into the DP port on the D5, but I'm hoping you can give me some insights into how to be able to plug my monitor into my D5.

Cheers!

Chas
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

chasg wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 02:16My monitor uses a DVI connector, and I have a DP to DVI adaptor that I'm using to connect my monitor to my D5.
So the D5's DisplayPort output is likely not DP++, so for your monitor to function with it, you'd need to use an active DisplayPort to DVI adaptor.

The cable you currently own is likely passive.
chasg

Post by chasg »

It was an inexpensive (“cheap”) adaptor, so it’s very likely passive!

Thanks @crisisacting, I didn’t even know that that sort of adaptor existed (but I do now, so I’ll go looking for one).
chasg

Post by chasg »

I should have followed up.

So, for anyone with a similar issue: an active DisplayPort to DVI adaptor solved my problem :-)
chasg

Post by chasg »

Hi @sadie110,

Kind of you to contribute, but the problem has already been solved :-)

Your advice, and please forgive me, seems a tiny bit generic. Can you confirm for me that you're not a bot? (I'm just curious).