Disappointed w TERRAMASTER D5 Thunderbolt 3

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
walksonair

Disappointed w TERRAMASTER D5 Thunderbolt 3

Post by walksonair »

My RAID unit is eating through hard drives. Every hard drive I have put into slot 1 seems to get bad blocks within months of being added. I am on my third drive and am at wits end to this problem. I dont understand why this unit keeps eating hard drives. The HDs are all compatible and it's getting me frustrated I cannot rely on Terramaster for mission critical applications.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Disappointed w TERRAMASTER D5 Thunderbolt 3

Post by TMroy »

A normal hard drive enclosure is not able to EAT your drives. In order to check whether the hard disk is not working properly due to poor contact, Please check the S.M.A.R.T. attribute information of the first drive if there are unexpected power on/off counts or spin up/down counts, if it does, that may hurt your drive and cause bad blocks.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
boris22x

Post by boris22x »

{L_BUTTON_AT}walksonair
Hi, it can be poor contact with the enclosure, it can be a drive quality issue,... As recommended please check the SMART, listen to the drives (maybe you hear them starting often), check the temperature, check whether it is happening at the same position in the enclosure, etc. I can tell you that even "high-quality NAS or datacenter" drives are having issues and will die regardless of the enclosure. From 10 drives I usually get 1 dead after the shipping, 1 will die within the first month, 1 will die within the first 6 months.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}boris22x

So you're seriously stating you have a 30% failure rate on drives within 6 months? I don't know what brand/model of drive you are using but that's terrible statistics and for comparison, I purchased 12x6TB WD RED drives in 2015. All have sat in various NAS drives and run continuously and all 12 are still running today. 2,263 days and 9 hours running is "power on hours" count for one I picked at random

What make/mmodel drives are you using?
Attachments
273539201_1031189424421930_5701387514800546224_n.png
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}walksonair

If the drives are all being eaten in slot 1, then I would suggest its either a heat issue, or there's something wrong with the Enclosure.
To have 3 drives fail in this way all I the same slot is technically possible but probably the same bound of possibility of me waking up next to Natalie Portman. It could happen, but its very unlikely.
Ask for a replacement under warranty and see if the failures continue.
One thing to consider is where are you placing the unit? Is it getting ventilation, is it close to a radiator? etc.

What band/model of drives were you using?
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

They're the Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB models...the unit is on a shelf with adequate ventilation and isn't next to any heat producing items. I'll have to figure out how to go about requesting a warranty replacement. Thanks for the advice.
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

Also, I have checked the disk seating/connection to the enclosure. Not hearing anything with the drives. But whatever drive is in bay 1 is getting a lot of bad sectors. I swapped two of the drives when I nuked the RAID a while ago and it confirms the bay 1 issue.

See attached SS.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 10.25.18.png
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

Just updating that Terramaster took care of my situation by replacing the contackerous D5 unit with a new one. So far no issues.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

walksonair wrote: 29 Dec 2022, 01:45 Just updating that Terramaster took care of my situation by replacing the contackerous D5 unit with a new one. So far no issues.
Thanks for posting an update, I have been looking at adding a D5 to my Mac Studio, its good that they replaced the unit.
edgley

Post by edgley »

FWISW, I use a mixture of 4GB drives, different manufacturers, different specs and different ages - all has worked okay, just the speed hasn't been as fast as one would hope it might be; obviously, one believes, due to the smorgasbord of drives that populate it :)
============================
D5 /TB3 / 5x4TB
iMac 2017 / Ventura

NOW: iMac 2011 / High Sierra.