TerraMaster Dxx and APFS compression/deduplication

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
boris22x

TerraMaster Dxx and APFS compression/deduplication

Post by boris22x »

Hello,

maybe it will be useful for some of you folks, so sharing here. I have TerraMaster D16 and I use it for work and backups. I have 8x18TB WD GOLD HDDs in RAID 6 and 4x2TB SSDs in RAID 0 and 4 empty bays for the future. I am using it with the most recent macOS.
The 8 HDDs RAID 6 I formatted to APFS and yes, I am aware that the performance sucks if you have a lot of files and folders but this RAID 6 is in my case used mostly as storage for infrequently used data (which after some time are moved to Amazon Glacier archive anyway). The 4 SSDs RAID 0 is in my case used as temporary storage (editing, compression, etc.).
While having the APFS on the RAID and having a lot of compressible and duplicated data I decided to use APFS compression and APFS deduplication. Apple does not provide any nice GUI tools for compression/deduplication, but there are command-line tools you can use. I wrote a short HOWTO on Medium which may be useful for you in case you decide to compress/deduplicate your APFS volumes. You can find the article at https://blog.wearethehackers.com/apple- ... 5ff146c053

__boris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: TerraMaster Dxx and APFS compression/deduplication

Post by TMroy »

Good works, thank you very much!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)