Poor D8 performance

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
bigpal

Poor D8 performance

Post by bigpal »

I've had poor performance from a new D8 since the time I purchased it. I didn't know how poor it was until I started troubleshooting REALLY bad forensic processing times. Turns out it's performing like a single spinning disk, or worse. I updated RAID drivers and TB software. There is no updated BIOS for the RAID controller, nor a firmware update for the D8. I've also tried moving the TB controller between slots and different cables.

What steps can I take to figure this out?
Poor Perf Disk.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Poor D8 performance

Post by TMroy »

May I know how many drives you installed in D8? what kind of drives they are? did you set any raid configuration?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bigpal

Post by bigpal »

I have eight drives installed, they are Barracuda 6TB 5400RPM 256MB Cache (ST6000DM003) I have the system set up in a RAID 5 configuration, 64K block size, 512B sector size. All disks reporting no issues.
bigpal

Post by bigpal »

I should add, when I conduct large file transfers to another system over the network (10GBe ethernet), it will copy between 400-600MBps. When I copy or delete a lot of smaller files, the performance degrades significantly.
bigpal

Post by bigpal »

In testing, the performance does indeed drop when copying small files. This is a read operation from the D8 to another TB array. Copying larger files shows excellent performance, over 500MBps. These files are mostly eml files, json, xmls, etc. Does anyone else experience this on their array?
Attachments
Read Perf.png
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

This is a normal situation in real world. speed will drop a lot when copying small files.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)