Big Sur 11.6.1 M1 Mac - Install does not work!

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
madmethods

Big Sur 11.6.1 M1 Mac - Install does not work!

Post by madmethods »

Hello everyone,

I'm a big purchaser of TerraMaster products ($10k++) -- but this is just a mess. I've spent 3 hours on this and I'm ready to return this product. It's just not ready for prime-time, I don't believe. TerraMaster is not keeping up speed with the necessary drivers.

I follow all instructions and you can see the driver is showing active:
$ kmutil inspect| grep High
No variant specified, falling back to release
com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR 4.23.1 /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/HighPointRR.kext

But all I ever get is this message: The connection between APP and RAID HBA has been interruptted, APP will try to reconnect RAID HBA in 1 second(s).

I've tried the Highpoint 4.22 driver - it's no better and doesn't even load.

In System Report, I am noticing this under DISABLED SOFTWARE:
DX6G69M9N2 - com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointIOP:

Version: Unknown
Reason: No User Consent
Date Disabled: Unknown
madmethods

Re: Big Sur 11.6.1 M1 Mac - Install does not work!

Post by madmethods »

Why does the extension say Loaded: No... when it's clearly loaded here in the above command-line output I pasted above.

More details:
Version: 4.23.1
Last Modified: 3/12/21, 8:54 AM
Bundle ID: com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR
Notarized: Yes
Loaded: No
Get Info String: Version: 4.23.1, Copyright (c) 2021 HighPoint Technologies, Inc.
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Kind: Universal
Architectures: arm64e, x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 4.23.1
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Developer ID Application: HighPoint Technologies, Inc (DX6G69M9N2), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

May I know what model you purchased? And happened to your model? failed to load hard drives? your computer failed to recognize the device? please tell the specific issue, then we can provide you with a solution.

Many of our customers are using Big Sur OS with M1 chip, I believe something wrong with your configuration. We did have some users who encountered the same problems during use. We assisted them to configure the system correctly and the product can be used normally without issue. I believe we can help you too.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
madmethods

Post by madmethods »

Thank you. I bought TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3.

I don't believe this is working on anyone's Big Sur 11.6.1 (the most recent update). I'd like to hear from customers that this is successfully working on the absolute latest version of Big Sur.

I have personally invested 4 hours into this. I've booted into Safe Mode and done everything in the instructions found here:
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=2462
madmethods

Post by madmethods »

And to specify the issue:

- No drives are recognized by Disk Utility as JBOD devices (which would happen if the software was operating correctly).
- I'm certain the device is connected properly because I connected additional Thunderbolt 3 devices to the auxiliary port on the back of the Terra-master
- And all I get is this message when I try to access the RAID Manager:
The connection between APP and RAID HBA has been interruptted, APP will try to reconnect RAID HBA in 2 second(s).

And I've uninstalled it and re-installed it now countless times. I've even tried turning SIPS off... and running an installation that way.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WORKS.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for providing detailed information.
How long have you been using this model? Is it always working fine before you update your mac OS to 11.6.1?

We will verify your feedback and come back to you with a solution soon.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
madmethods

Post by madmethods »

I just bought it from Amazon.

I don't believe this software installs properly onto 11.6.1.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Pay attention to screenshots when installing.
Click [Open Security Preferences] to pop up [Security and Privacy Window];
Make sure that ‘App Store and Approved Developers’ is selected, and then click Allow;
You will receive a pop-up window, click [Restart] to restart the system.
1.png
2.jpg
2.jpg (18.41 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (18.76 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
madmethods

Post by madmethods »

Yep. I did all of that countless times. 3 hours diagnosing your COMPLETELY NOT READY PRODUCT.

It's going back to Amazon today. No one buys a premium product that costs $800 and accepts out of date drivers and crazy installation processes.

The support team tried on this one... even saying they will TeamViewer into my computer. But I'm sorry. Terramaster makes fantastic products... and this one isn't ready. And I suspect the engineering team knows this.

They are accepting completely outdated and garbage drivers from Highpoint... and obviously getting no support from them or else this would not be the mess that it is with Monterey (and the latest version of Big Sur).

When you're dealing with people's critical data, the concept that you can play with drivers all day just to be able to access that data? No thanks.

As I said, I've purchased more than $10k in Terramaster products. Their 10gig networked NAS is brilliant. This Thunderbolt 3 product is not usable.
TMsupport2

Post by TMsupport2 »

Still can we have a remote check, we do have customers using M1 Big Sur 11.6.1 and the D5 works well with it. There should be some configuration being ignored and we will able to troubleshoot and fix at the remote session. Could you please reply to the support team with your TeamViewer ID and PW?
To contact our team, please email the addresses below, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)

Return to “Thunderbolt 3 Series”