Advice for RAID 5 Critical

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
walksonair

Advice for RAID 5 Critical

Post by walksonair »

Hello, I love my Terramaster D5 Thunderbolt 3 and have been using it for almost a year with brand new hard drives. Unfortunately I have a situation where I would like some advice on what to do (screenshots attached):

1. There is a lock icon on disk3 and I don't know what that means. Do I need to replace it?
2. The bad sector count on disk1 is non-zero. Does this mean I should look to replace this hard drive as well?

The RIAD manager is telling me the RAID is in CRITICAL status and that rebuild has failed at 92%. The Terramaster unit keeps doing something with the hard drives and now there is a folder titled 'lost+found' with numbers and various media in it.

I don't know whether I should go get two new HDs and completely delete my RAID5 and restore from backup or not. Could someone advise me on what I can do to minimize downtime for this unit?

Thank you kindly,
WoA
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.15.45.png
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.15.32.png
walksonair

Re: Advice for RAID 5 Critical

Post by walksonair »

Update: Now the Terramaster has an orange light at disk1 and I see the attached screenshot. I am not sure whether to replace disk1 or disk3 or both. Please let me know what to do.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 11.12.23.png
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

Update2: I removed the drive1 and drive 3 and attached to my computer to check health. drive1 immediately showed problems in that it could not pass health check. drive3 passed health check from Mac OS Disk Utility.

I reformatted drive1 and re-ran health check and it passed. I am now going write 0's on disk1 to check for bad sectors.

Question: Can I reformat drive1 and continue using? Or should I replace with a brand new hard drive?

Any other advice and troubleshooting instructions welcome.

Thank you kindly,
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! Please refer to the article for troubleshooting.
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1105
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

Hi, there is no issue with the operating system and using the device as I was happily utilizing it for many months.

The question I have is what I should do in this case where a drive has failed in RAID 5 configuration. I do not know whether the drive is salvageable? Meaning, can I just reformat the drive and plug it back into the device so that it can rebuild? Or should I buy a new drive?

Also, what does the lock icon mean?

Thank you kindly,
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Judging from the screenshots you provided, the first screenshot is that drive 3 synchronization failed and was locked, and the second is that drive 1 has failed! If two HDDs fail in the RAID5 mode, it means that the RAID5 protection mode has been destroyed. It is recommended that you back up the data first, and then troubleshoot which HDD in drive3/ drive1 has failed.

In addition, is the issue caused by your Mac OS update? If so, please refer to the above link.

The lock icon means that the raid5 synchronization failed and then it was locked.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
walksonair

Post by walksonair »

I ended up nuking the entire RAID. It was painful but I still cannot determine whether any hard drive actually failed other than the bad sector count on HD 1. In researching this issue, I have come to learn that HD Mfgs expect bad sectors but a steady count should not warrant the drive inop.

I have restored most of the data and should be done this week. I hope I don't get anymore rebuild errors. What I have done differently is enabling continue rebuild on error as well as daily SHI checks.