should front LEDs be green when drives inside, but D5 not connected to a computer?

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
chasg

should front LEDs be green when drives inside, but D5 not connected to a computer?

Post by chasg »

Hi All,

I have a D5 TB enclosure that I bought recently, and I have a question about the front LEDs:

If a drive is inside a slot, and the D5 enclosure is not connected to a computer, should the LED associated with that drive be red, or green?

You see, I can't connect this D5 to my M1 Mac Mini yet (drivers not up to date), so I can't see if it's actually working, but I find it strange that all the LEDs on the front stay red when I have drives inside. So this is making me wonder: is my particular enclosure defective?

In an attempt to test further, I plugged the D5 into a PC, but only into a USB 3 port (with a cable that has USB-C on one end, and USB-A on the other). No drives mounted, and all the LEDs stayed red. But this could be because the PC doesn't actually have thunderbolt, I just used an adaptor cable to connect the enclosure to a USB port. So not a reliable test.

I'm out of machines to test the D5 on, and I only have a short window in which to send it back. But I really need to know: should those red LEDs be green when drives are inside (or do they only turn red if the drives are being successfully mounted on a computer?).

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Chas
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: should front LEDs be green when drives inside, but D5 not connected to a computer?

Post by TMS »

Hi,
Have you installed RAID Manager?
Please refer to this link:viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1106&p=7238&hilit=big+SUr#p7238
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
chasg

Re: should front LEDs be green when drives inside, but D5 not connected to a computer?

Post by chasg »

Hi, thanks for your reply.

My Mac is an M1 Mac Mini, so the enclosure won't work on it, until the drivers are updated. But I didn't install a driver on the PC I was testing with, I'll do so, thanks for the reminder.

But can you tell me: if the enclosure is not connected to a computer, should the LEDs on the front be green for any installed hard drives? Or do they stay red until any installed hard drives are mounted on a connected computer?

At the moment, I have one drive inside (enclosure is not connected to a computer), and its associated LED is red.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
When the D5 Thunderbolt 3 device is not connected to the Thunderbolt 3 cable, the LED is red, the LED is red after sleep, and the green LED is blinking during normal reading and writing.
In addition, D5 Thunderbolt 3 devices do not support USB protocol interface connection, only D5 Thunderbolt 3 interface connection. Regarding the Mac OS M1 chip driver, we are in the stage of development and testing.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
chasg

Post by chasg »

That is very helpful information, thank you very much.

I will wait (patiently!) for the new driver to come. If you need testers (I'm running an M1 Mac Mini, OSX 11.2), just let me know.