TD2 Thunderbolt port not working

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
MIchaelSchaa

TD2 Thunderbolt port not working

Post by MIchaelSchaa »

Hello,

I am using a TD2 with two disks in Raid mode installed on a Macbook Pro 15 2018 with Big Sur.
Connecting the TD2 to the Macbook only works on the Thunderbolt Port 2, not on the one with the laptop pictogram.
This port (with the pictogram) seems to be dead...as also no external drive is recognized.

Any help is welcome!

Best
Michael
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: TD2 Thunderbolt port not working

Post by TMS »

Please try this link description:viewtopic.php?f=66&t=439
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
MIchaelSchaa

Post by MIchaelSchaa »

TMS wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 21:48 Please try this link description:viewtopic.php?f=66&t=439
Thank you, but probably you did not read my question properly?
The Thunderbolt port is just not working. The other works fine and I can use the drives ... but connecting anything to the second thunderbolt port (the one with the computer pictogram) only works in 1 of 10 times. 9 out of 10 it will not recognise anything that is attached to it...harddrives, computer, printer, monitor...whatever.

Any ideas?

Best Michael
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MIchaelSchaa
The two thunderbolt 3 ports on TD2 are for different applications, one is for computer connection, the other one is only for Daicy chain connection only.
td2.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MIchaelSchaa

Post by MIchaelSchaa »

Hello,

thank you again for your answer. I do not know if it is my English..but I already wrote that nothing can be connected to the port with the computer icon. If I connect my laptop with this port, no drive will show up.
If I connect my laptop to the other port (daisy chain) then the drives in the TD2 will show up.

So the port with the computer icon is a) useless because I can not connect anyhing to it or b) not working properly.

But perhapes I just do not understand how it should be working. My understanding was to connect the Macbook Pro to the port with the computer Icon and then get access to the drives in the TD2. But this does not work...the dries only show up when I connect my Laptop to the daisy chain port.

So I will ask Amazon to take the TD2 back and probably buy a Synology NAS.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}MIchaelSchaa
Sorry to miss your points. Now I got you. Well, feedback from another engineer, we have a same case from another customer, just because the Thunderbolt 3 driver did not work properly on the Big Sur, this has been resolved by re-installing the Big Sur OS. When the thunderbolt 3 driver does not work, even you connect to the port without computer mark, the port only work on USB mode instead of Thunderbolt 3 mode.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MIchaelSchaa

Post by MIchaelSchaa »

Sorry - but this is not a solution.
As I already wrote only this port on the TD3 is not working. The other port works flawlessly and for sure a reinstallation of Mac OS will not be a solution to this as all my ports on my macbook pro run with every other device.
On to the TD3 shows the same behaviour on another laptop...so the port of the TD3 is not working correctly.

I will find a solution for myself - the support here takes far to long and the answers I got are ... well :-(
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely? You can send an email to our tech team .
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)