Apple Silicon (M1 SOC) Support

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
eggic

Apple Silicon (M1 SOC) Support

Post by eggic »

I've been reading on the forum about Big Sur support but haven't seen any comments on support for the new M1 machines. Is there a RAID driver for the M1 chip allowing the ThunderBolt3 Raid enclosures to be used with those machines? If not, is there any timeline for release?

Thanks!
TMsupport2

Re: Apple Silicon (M1 SOC) Support

Post by TMsupport2 »

The compatibility issue with Mac OS Big Sur was already resolved, and the Quick Installation Guide on TerraMaster official website has been updated: https://start.terra-master.com.
The Thunderbolt 3 RAID Manager Pro should be working well with the new M1 systems. Did you already try it? Please let us know if any problems.
To contact our team, please email the addresses below, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
eggic

Post by eggic »

I've gone through the reinstallation again and ensured that security is disabled. When go through the process on the M1 Mac mini I don't get the prompt for enabling the extension. I don't think the HighPointRR System extension will work until they release an updated version including support for arm64e.

Do you have a timeline when the M1 chip will be supported (arm64e architecture)?

Thanks for your help!
jive

Post by jive »

Dear Support,

As a new owner of a M1 Apple Mini and a Terra-Master D5 Thunderbolt 3 I verify that the driver being on your support site isn't compatible with the M1 Apple -mini!

Through thorough analyzes it can be seen, that the Apple-Mini hardware detect the D5, but not the raid controller inside! The raid controller software is unable to communicate with the raid controller RocketRaid 2720 SAS Controller. I tried creatig in the end a Raid 5 using the windows10 Raid Controler Software/driver combination, but in spite of this the mini can't recognize the raided disk of the D5. It was said that from 10.5 and above the OP natively support the the raid, but it isn't true in case of Apple Mini with M1 processor!

You can install the drive and the Raid Controller program virtually without any error messages, but the when you start the Raid Magager Pro it sends the message: The connection between APP and RAID HBA has been interruptted, APP will try to reconnect RAID HBA in 0 second(s).

Please look after the problem and create/get a compatible driver if it is only the driver whicj needs upgrading.

Thank You!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Thank you for your report.
as the M1 Mac is running on ARM64 architecture, at the moment, there is no such driver and program available for such architecture, so currently Terra-master D5/D8 thunderbolt device is not compatible with M1 Mac computer.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
eggic

Post by eggic »

TMroy wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:31 Thank you for your report.
as the M1 Mac is running on ARM64 architecture, at the moment, there is no such driver and program available for such architecture, so currently Terra-master D5/D8 thunderbolt device is not compatible with M1 Mac computer.
@TMroy do you know if there are plans to support the M1 Mac computers and if so can you provide feedback on a timeline?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sorry I do not have timeline from the dev department at the moment. But we will keep you updated.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

Please will you also add me to any lists that you may be keeping? I also have exactly the same issue - and it's very disappointing to understand that you have no working drivers at present.
eggic

Post by eggic »

TMroy wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:51 Sorry I do not have timeline from the dev department at the moment. But we will keep you updated.
Thanks for the reply. It would be very helpful if you could provide a timeline as I am considering returning my unit (I have until Jan 31st, 2021). OWC SoftRaid is providing daily updates on their status of M1 support in their forum. If they release support prior to Terra-Master I'll most likely be switching to a raid unit supported by their SoftRaid product, especially if there is no more information here on supporting the M1 architecture (better to have a bird in hand then two in the bush).
lennybruce

Post by lennybruce »

soo the $700 tb3 5 bay and the $1,600 tb3 8 bay drives i bought last week that worked fine with my 2018 mac mini are not going to work with the new m1? wtf/? i am using it as JBOD and not RAID. so its the RAID. i can plug in a little drive to the extra TB on the terramasterD8 and it reads fine. but any disk in the terramaster isnt registering

i cant access my hard drives now. is there any work around other than going back to my older mac mini_? :oops: