TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3 5-Bay Stops Working

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
RudyM

TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3 5-Bay Stops Working

Post by RudyM »

I have two Terra Master D5 Thunderbolt 3's with 5 Seagate Iron Wolf Hard Drives each about 40 TBs of capacity. Original D5 (circa 2018) with about 30 TBs of data would run for about an hour then stop working. Just started happening about two weeks ago.

Bought 2nd D5 (circa 2020) so I can back up the original D5. While copying to the 2nd Drive, the minute the first D5 fails, the 2nd D5 fails the same way. Loud screech and several of the drive lights turn on and Message "The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100006)."

What is wrong and what can be done? It's a lot of data to be at risk. Any suggestions. Thanks.
RudyM

Re: TerraMaster D5 Thunderbolt 3 5-Bay Stops Working

Post by RudyM »

BTW, I am running a MacBook Pro (2017) running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1 (the latest version).
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Did you upgraded your macOS to Big Sur (11.0)recently? If yes, please refer to this link for instructions: (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1105), and please let us know the follow-up situation.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
RudyM

Post by RudyM »

Thank you so much. Your link solved my problem. I had updated to macOS Big Sur about a week ago, so that was the source of my problem.

I successfully removed the older RAID driver and replaced it with the current version. It's been about 10 hours and I've not had a problem since replacing the driver. However, for reference, there are a couple of things you may want to update in your instructions in case you need to inform others.

1. Although I am the Admin on my computer, I could not access the sudo command from within the Mac OS Recovery environment with this new version of the OS. I had to boot normally and go into the Terminal app to both delete and add the new driver. After adding the new driver, I then rebooted again to make it active.
2. The link to the new driver was not in the original instructions (viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1105). I had to go the Chinese page https://forum.terra-master.com/cn/viewtopic.php?t=746 to find it and I downloaded it from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862
3. I have an older Mac with the T1 Security chip, so at least for me, I did not have to disable SecureBoot.

Thanks again. It's a big relief to have the hardware working again.
Rudy
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Thank you for your feedback,RAID drive link has been added.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
RudyM

Post by RudyM »

Excellent! Glad I could help you too.
RudyM

Post by RudyM »

Hi again,
My Mac had an emergency update to macOS Big Sur version 11.1 a week or so ago, where I had to upgrade the system via a safe boot. Unfortunately, the TerraMaster D5 is exhibiting the same symptoms as before and unstable. Have you heard this from anyone else?

Do I need to repeat what I did and upgrade the RAID driver again?

Please advise. Thanks.

Rudy
RudyM

Post by RudyM »

Tried to uninstall and reinstalled the RAID driver. However, received the message that macOS can't repair the disk. Any advice to get it working properly again?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 12.06.44 PM.png