Mac stops detecting HDD in Single Mode/Thunderbolt 3 DAS

RAID storage for video editing professionals or who care much about the speed
pratapj

Mac stops detecting HDD in Single Mode/Thunderbolt 3 DAS

Post by pratapj »

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Thunderbolt 3 Pro-Grade 2-Bay RAID 0/1/JBOD/SINGLE (Diskless). I am using it in Single Disk mode with 2 HDDs - EXOS 12TB and WD 6TB Black.

First, I had problems with an EXOS 12TB hard disk. The drive was detected by my M1 Mac Mini when I first plugged it in. I already had data on it. After using it for a few days, my Mac displayed the message "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer.", So I initialised the hard disk and copied all my data back onto it. The drive worked fine for a while, but suddenly stopped being detected by the Mac, with the same error message. I understand that the EXOS 12TB hard disk is not on the Thunderbolt 3 recommended list.

But today, my Mac stopped detecting the WD 6TB Black, which I had in the second bay. The Mac displayed the same error message, "The disk you attached was not readable by this computer." I have critical data in the 6TB which is not backed up.

And as per the compatibility matrix, the WD Black 6 TB (WD6003FZBX) is supported. Mine is a WD6002FZWX. Could that be the reason for incompatibility? is there a way I can get to my data? I plan on testing the drive with another external hard disk enclosure which I need to borrow from a friend. Meanwhile, please tell me how I can troubleshoot and avoid these errors, and possibly get to my data.

Thank you
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Mac stops detecting HDD in Single Mode/Thunderbolt 3 DAS

Post by TMSupport »

This problem is due to an error in the file system of the disk partition.
Please pay attention to:
1.recommended format for large-capacity hard disk:
Mac OS Journal/APFS for Mac OS;
NTFS for Windows OS.
It is not recommended to use FAT/eXFAT32 format.

Also please eject the disk before turning off the device.
During the copying process, illegal power off and copy interruption will cause the problem.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
pratapj

Re: Mac stops detecting HDD in Single Mode/Thunderbolt 3 DAS

Post by pratapj »

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I used Disk Drill from Clever Files to recover files from the corrupted partition. I was able to retrieve the files which were not backed up. TestDisk is a free alternative to Disk Drill but it is command line only. For me, Disk Drill did the job.

:?: I still don't understand what caused the corruption of two of my disks. They were formatted as Mac OS Journal/APFS for Mac OS and I never pulled them out without safely ejecting them. The DAS is always connected to my Mac mini. :?: