TOS 5 Beta is released for testing NOW!

Official news about TOS, mobile app, PC app updates or beta releases
TMsupport6
TerraMaster Team

TOS 5 Beta is released for testing NOW!

Post by TMsupport6 »

Welcome to TOS 5 Beta testing program!

TOS was born 10 years ago, it was not great, it has been criticized, but it keeps improving. Due to the structural design flaws in the past versions, the quality is not satisfactory and maintenance is difficult. TOS 5 is the fifth-generation version of the system, The purpose of developing a new version is to make more reasonable improvements to the way the system structure and data interact to provide better quality and user experience. In order to achieve this goal, the TerraMaster team has made great efforts.

After a year and a half, more than 50 new features, 600 improvements, 300,000 lines of code... The long-awaited TOS 5 has finally arrived! The brand new TOS 5 beta is officially released to the public for testing now!

General Introduction

Key Features and Enhancements

TOS-5-Global-Open-Beta-ing.jpg
Before starting the test, please be sure to read the following precautions carefully.
Precautions:

1. A beta version is an early version of a program that contains most of the main features, but is not yet complete and may have some bugs or defects. The beta version is only released to a select group of people, or to the general public, for testing and feedback;
2. The Beta version is not suitable for use in work or production environments. If your TNAS device is running business or storing important data, please do not participate in this test program;
3. The root file system, storage mount path, application storage location, and startup mode of TOS 5 are different from those of other versions. You will not be able to install TOS 5 through an update, but will need to reinstall the system. Reinstalling the system normally will not delete the data on your hard disks. To prevent accidents, please be sure to back up your data in advance;
4. The Beta version released this time is only applicable to TNAS models in X.86 series (220 series, 221 series, 420 series, 421 series, 422 series);
5. Your TOS must be 4.2.09 or a later version;
6. TOS 5 Beta requires a new version of TNAS PC (Windows OS: V5.0.4 / macOS: V5.0.4) and TNAS Mobile (Android: V5.0.1 / iOS: V5.0.1).

Download link:

TNAS PC for Windows OS: https://download2.terra-master.com/Ter ... 5.0.12.zip
TNAS PC for macOS: https://download2.terra-master.com/Terr ... 5.0.12.dmg
TNAS Mobile for Android: It will be published later.
TNAS Mobile for iOS: It will be published later.

How to install TOS 5 Beta?

1. Download the TOS 5 Beta installation package;
2. Log in to your TOS, go to control Panel > General Settings > Update & Recovery > Restore to Factory Defaults, select "Restore to Factory Defaults" and click "Apply" to clear your original settings;
3. Your TNAS will automatically restart and enter the initialization guide page; If the initialization page is not displayed, please search the NAS IP address by TNAS PC, and enter the IP address in the browser’s address bar to access;
4. Please select "Manual Installation", upload the downloaded TOS 5 Beta installation package, and wait until the installation is complete;
5. The system will automatically restart when TOS 5 Beta is successfully installed. After the system restarts, set the administrator settings as instructed to complete the system installation;
6. After the system is installed, clear the browser cache. Otherwise, some system pages may not be displayed correctly.

Bug reports

As the Beta version is an early version of the program, there may be some defects, please do not pass the bugs of the Beta version to the public to avoid causing unnecessary trouble to others.
If you'd like report a bug, please send the description, reproduction method and screenshot of the bug to the email address: pm@terra-master.com.

Thank you very much for your participation!
TerraMaster product team
March 8, 2022
nygage

Re: TOS 5 Beta is released for testing NOW!

Post by nygage »

The link of TNAS Desktop doesn't work, can you please repair it?

Thanks!
k.wechselberger

Post by k.wechselberger »

Simply select everything from http:// to the end of the line, copy and then paste it into the browser line and confirm.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

You can download now.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
nygage

Post by nygage »

TMRyan wrote:
> You can download now.

Thanks! I have downloaded and after install it it doesn't open. Am i doing anything wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/Wh4ZVoA
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Have you uninstalled your old TNAS PC? You can try uninstalling your old TNAS PC.
If it doesn't work, you can try to open the firewall in the computer control panel, and then allow the TNAS PC to use the network.
If the TNAS PC is not listed, you can click "allow other applications",then select the exe file of TNAS PC under the installation path.
allow.png
tnas pc.png
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

OK so I installed it on my F2-422 over .30
Installed easily (Mac users, use Chrome to do this instead of Safari, I found the install went easier with Chrome >
All my data is intact (phew!)
The new OS is certainly a lot more polished than v4 in every way (No Plex though), also have to test to see whether the additional apps (like Unifi controller) still work.
Its certainly faster and in my limited usage. feels better than QNAP's QTS5.0 OS. It certainly looks more polished (Not HUGE icons which for some reason QNAP decided on). Well done to TM for this.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Ok so after a bit off time playing with it, here's my impressions:

Its significantly better and faster than QNAP's QTS v5 OS (Which has been plagued with bugs), its a significant upgrade in terms of look and feel and makes TOS4 feel pedestrian.

TerraPhotos app (beta) doesn't seem to work, it appears to be like the absolutely excellent QNAP Qumagie app, which uses AI to catalogue your Photos. It loads and runs but can't find any photos and won't let me upload any to it "Operation failed".

Surveillance App works, but is still buggy and uses a lot of CPU time, it worked well with the 4 Reolink CCTV cameras I tested it with though, so it shows potential.

Third party Apps? Unifi Controller doesn't work, with an error message when manually installing it, hopefully this gets fixed

No Plex app, so I'll probably run that in a container, I haven't had time to sort that out yet.

File transfers feel slightly faster, especially with small files (on a 10Gbe network here).

Overall, apart from the issues above, I think TOS 5 is a leap forward.
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

Can this be updated to the TOS 5 Stable version when it becomes available?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Yes, it can.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)