Plex on docker with hardware transcoding on TOS 5.0?

Discussion about Plex and Emby Media Server
MorganGrubb

Plex on docker with hardware transcoding on TOS 5.0?

Post by MorganGrubb »

I'm trying to get my F4-423 setup using primarily dockerised applications and I cannot for the life of me get hardware transcoding to work with docker on TOS 5.0.176.

This viewtopic.php?f=51&t=2236&p=12028&hilit ... ode#p12028 exists which appears to solve the problem for TOS 4 and so far I haven't been able to recreate this on TOS 5.

Can't get root access through sudo:

Code: Select all

[morgan@eden ~]# sudo -i
sudo: unknown user: root
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
[morgan@eden ~]# 
Can't ssh into the device as root:

Code: Select all

$ ssh -p 9222 root@eden.local
(root@eden.local) Password: 
(root@eden.local) Password: 
From reviewing all the threads it seems likely that the problem is related to the video user group being required in order to access /dev/dri/card0 and I have no idea how to propagate that through to the docker container.

From the linuxserver/plex readme, it appears that the container itself will handle permissions internally:
Screenshot_20230221_182419.png
so if this actually is the issue then sorting out the group membership externally should be enough to resolve it? Unfortunately this is all speculation because I know so little about this.

I've seen a few threads where people are suggesting this (like the ram being locked down to terramaster only) is solved in the 5.1 beta but I can't see a timeline for when 5.1 will be released, I don't particularly want to install a beta OS on a device that is supposed to securely hold my files, and because I can't see anything official about any of these changes I doubt their veracity.

I tried installing the default Plex application from the App Center just to see if that would handle hardware transcoding but I couldn't actually get to my library - CORS issues prevented me from being able to add a library and start the media scanner. I suspect that the plex package in the App Center is out of date and that there is likely a more recent package somewhere else I could use but frankly issues like this are why I want to run things in docker to begin with - Terramaster can keep my files safe and accessible and I'll manage my own apps, please and thankyou.

So I reach out to you - is there a solution that all my googling just failed to surface?