Updating to TOS 5.0.126 Kills Plex Server

Discussion about Plex and Emby Media Server
Gandalf1369
United States of America

Re: Updating to TOS 5.0.126 Kills Plex Server

Post by Gandalf1369 »

Have you tried using the Plex Media Server files from @outkastm ?? Here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3425
F5-221 with 4x5TB drives in Raid 5 (Plex Media Server, TOS 4.2.40)
F4-220 with 2x8TB, 1x6TB in JBOD (Docker, PiHole, Uptime-Kuma, tnfsd-x64, TOS 5.1.123)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369

No. I have not used any of the Plex servers built by outkastm because First: I don't understand why outkastm is doing the work that TerraMaster should be doing. Second: I don't know if installing an app built by outkastm will void any TerraMaster support warranty that I may have with TerraMaster. Third: With all of outkastm's great efforts, his Plex server version still doesn't keep up with the latest Plex server version. Outkastm's latest Plex server version is 1.28.1.6104 while the Plex server version that I run on all my Windows systems are 1.28.2.6151.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}ralexlaptop

As this issue does not happen in our lab, and many other users' plex also running well after the system update. I do not know where is the problem now. Would you like to have a remote session from our engineer?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

Since uninstalling and reinstalling the Plex server seems to be a reliable workaround, I can work with that. What I was hoping that TerraMaster would provide is an updated version of the Plex Server to be packaged with the next TOS 5.0 update or provide an auto update option for the Plex Server application without having to rely on a manual installation or a third-party support as been provided by Outkastm. If TerraMaster isn't willing to keep the supported TOS 5.0 applications current, can TerraMaster at a minimum provide a video instruction to show users how to package and update their own TerraMaster applications in a way that TerraMaster will have no problems with supporting?
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gandalf1369
ralexlaptop wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 08:12 No. I have not used any of the Plex servers built by outkastm because First: I don't understand why outkastm is doing the work that TerraMaster should be doing. Second: I don't know if installing an app built by outkastm will void any TerraMaster support warranty that I may have with TerraMaster. Third: With all of outkastm's great efforts, his Plex server version still doesn't keep up with the latest Plex server version. Outkastm's latest Plex server version is 1.28.1.6104 while the Plex server version that I run on all my Windows systems are 1.28.2.6151.
To answer your second and 3rd point, using the apps built by me will not affect in any way the hardware or warranty of you device. I was quite busy in the last month but if still needed to update Plex i will do it asap
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}outkastm

It is extremely kind of you to take the time from your busy schedule to do that. There are times when Plex puts out an update for the Plex Server as frequent as we have been getting TOS 5.0 updates. Is it possible for you to provide written or a video instruction to teach others how you package a Plex Server update into something that works on the TerraMaster Operating System so that all the TerraMaster customers are not imposing on you and your time to support an application that we expect TerraMaster to maintain for its own system?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}ralexlaptop

One thing needs to be clear. Plex team needs to develop and maintain their app on their own, like what they doing for TOS 4. TerraMaster is not able to do such a job for a third-party app. We have informed Plex team about the TOS 5 release, unfortunately, the official plex app for TOS 5 does not come out yet at this moment.

You can help to push them too. Thank you!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}outkastm
Someone on the Plex Forum indicated that the only thing that needs to be done is to change "/mnt/dev0" to "/volume1" and that will make the TOS 4.0 update package compatible with TOS 5.0. Is that accurate?
Attachments
Plex Dev to Volume.jpg
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

If the only difference in an application on TOS 4.0 and an application on TOS 5.0 is the location changed from /mnt/dev0 to /Volume1, can I just SSH into the CLI on the TNAS and create a symbolic link from /mnt/dev0 to /Volume1 to solve the issue with the TPK package being incompatible?
ralexlaptop

Post by ralexlaptop »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy
ralexlaptop wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 10:13 If the only difference in an application on TOS 4.0 and an application on TOS 5.0 is the location changed from /mnt/dev0 to /Volume1, can I just SSH into the CLI on the TNAS and create a symbolic link from /mnt/dev0 to /Volume1 to solve the issue with the TPK package being incompatible?
Just a Note: I gave the symbolic link idea a try on a different TNAS that I wasn't using for a Plex Server. I created the symbolic link and then installed the Plex Server. That all worked fine but when I attempted to manually install the update TPK file, it started out like it was going to work but the installation of the update failed.