Plex version differs between server and app

Discussion about Plex and Emby Media Server
taxicab

Plex version differs between server and app

Post by taxicab »

I have Plex Media Server installed on my TerraMaster NAS - the version reads as 1.19.4.2935.

However, when I try to access this server via the Web or mobile app, it says “The server is out of date and cannot be used. This version of Plex Web requires Plex Media Server 1.18.3 or higher.”

When I open the server directly via the Web app, it says the version is 1.18.2.2041.
Any idea what could be causing this? Help is very appreciated.
yerc1

Re: Plex version differs between server and app

Post by yerc1 »

taxicab wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 06:29 I have Plex Media Server installed on my TerraMaster NAS - the version reads as 1.19.4.2935.
The version you have is very old and may be open to vulnerabilities discussed elsewhere in this forum.

Plex Media Server 1.22.3.4392 was the most recent version available when I last checked.

Did you want to update and see whether the message goes away?
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
taxicab

Post by taxicab »

Thanks for the reply.

As per my "Application" view, there is no update available for Plex - this is the latest version. There is also no update available for TOS itself - I am on version 4.2.09.

Any idea what could be causing my inability to update Plex Media Server? Is there a way to do this manually?
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

taxicab wrote: 03 Jun 2021, 20:36 As per my "Application" view, there is no update available for Plex - this is the latest version. There is also no update available for TOS itself - I am on version 4.2.09.

Any idea what could be causing my inability to update Plex Media Server? Is there a way to do this manually?
Plex - I have consistently found that in "Application" view, Plex would not show an available update. However, once I clicked on Plex in the "Application" view the next image would show an available update and clicking the "Update" button would do as expected.

TOS - It's ability to show an available update has been broken from day 1 for me. Updating it requires a manual download of the update file followed by manual installation. See the instruction here to update from 4.2.09 to 4.2.12.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
taxicab

Post by taxicab »

Thank you again!

I was able to update TOS to the latest version (4.2.12).

However, there is still no update for plex (also not when i click on the logo in the application screen). I also tried to un- and re-install, no luck...

Should I just try to factory reset the NAS? And is that possible without losing all my data?
taxicab

Post by taxicab »

It now works - after the update of TOS, i did a few restarts, and was eventually able to install the latest version of PLEX from scratch. :) Thanks so much for your help!