An idiots guide to using plex

Discussion about Plex and Emby Media Server
gcok

An idiots guide to using plex

Post by gcok »

can somebody please point to an idiots guide to using this plex please?

I currently access my nas files over the network (on my pc)

eg T://my_username

I have installed plex on my NAS so i can watch/listen to my media on other devices eg my games console

however

I would like to access the selected files under my_username I do not seem to able to do this, can somebody please help me with this, when i go to manage libraries under plex and click add folders i can see my_username but none of the folders that contains media. Any help will be much appreciated
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: An idiots guide to using plex

Post by TMS »

Hi,
when choose to add a video, you cann’t find the folder containing the multimedia (is right)?
Can you take a screenshot to explain ?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
gcok

Post by gcok »

Thank you for replying. Plex detects my_username however it cant seem to access any media within it if that makes sense? so within my_username, i have all my media

/movies
/music
/pictures

etc etc

forgive me if its glaringly obvious
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

You mean you can access the file, but you cannot open or play the multimedia file inside.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

as plex runs as its own username it will not have access to files in your username folder (as only you can access these files)

what you need to do is create a shared folder within the TNAS system call it Films, move all the films into that folder, then as its a public share Plex will be able to see it
F2-210

gcok

Post by gcok »

Ah ok thanks, i really appreciate it, Does that mean anybody with access to the lan can see the files as well?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Yes, when you create a new shared folder and transfer multimedia files to the shared folder, and then add it to the plex database, people using the local area network will be able to directly use the IP and port access.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)