Docker image not installing

Discussion about Docker
onpotis

Docker image not installing

Post by onpotis »

I'm trying to run a small Minecraft server off of my T2-210 running 4.2.41, which this https://hub.docker.com/r/itzg/minecraft-server docker image should work perfectly for (although I have tried others). Unfortunately when I press download in registry, it shows up in my images as downloading, but after a few seconds if I reload the images tab in Docker the image just.. disappears, gone. Not even an error message. In logs it just says the image event was downloading but it just didn't
I tried multiple images and they all do this, some images like ubuntu and python on the front page of registry download fine, but none of the minecraft ones I've tried have downloaded. I've tried pulling and running them via the SSH terminal on both the admin account using sudo and root account, but then it says "Error response from daemon: manifest for itzg/minecraft-server:latest not found" or whatever depending on what version or image I try to download.

Me and my friend think it's because docker is on a really old version, so I tried updating docker and docker-compose with pip in the SSH terminal but it still does not work.
onpotis

Re: Docker image not installing

Post by onpotis »

Okay, so I found a way to update docker which let me install the package and I just want this to be here for anyone else that may need it. I used ChatGPT to find this out lol, ChatGPT is the best and this is it's step by step guide:

Open a terminal window on the system.

Download the latest version of Docker from the official website https://download.docker.com/linux/static/stable/x86_64/ or you can check the official documentation of Terramaster to get the link of the latest version.

Stop the current Docker service by running the command docker stop.

Remove the current version of Docker by running the command docker system prune -a.

Use the command tar -xvzf <downloaded_file_name>.tar.gz to extract the downloaded file.

Move the extracted file to the appropriate location using the command mv <extracted_folder_name> /usr/local/bin/

Start the Docker service by running the command dockerd &

You can check the version of Docker using docker -v command.
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

First, I wanted to say thanks for the details (and the intention)!

Unfortunately, this does not work on my F2-220 (4.2.39).
onpotis wrote: 25 Jan 2023, 14:43 Download the latest version of Docker from the official website https://download.docker.com/linux/static/stable/x86_64/ or you can check the official documentation of Terramaster to get the link of the latest version.

Stop the current Docker service by running the command docker stop.

Remove the current version of Docker by running the command docker system prune -a.

Use the command tar -xvzf <downloaded_file_name>.tar.gz to extract the downloaded file.

Move the extracted file to the appropriate location using the command mv <extracted_folder_name> /usr/local/bin/

Start the Docker service by running the command dockerd &
You can check the version of Docker using docker -v command.
Everything went fine up until the point where you said:
"Start the Docker service by running the command dockerd"

Unfortunately docker doesn't run natively using the daemon.
TerraMaster runs the built-in installation using docker as a service. Hence we get the error:

[user@nas docker]# dockerd
bash: dockerd: command not found

My hunch is, you were able to get it up and running fine, but forgot to list the last critical step or two... ;)

If anyone can offer additional input on this, I know there'd be a LOT of grateful TNAS users since TM themselves don't seem to want to make updating the native docker app a priority (now that it's 6+ YEARS out of date: 17.05.0-ce came out in 2017).

The factory Docker version is so old now, that I'm starting to be unable to download recent packages with it. I often have to go to Docker hub and find an older version, so that I can manually (SSH) pull the older version.
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
TM220user

Post by TM220user »

TM220user wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 21:02 First, I wanted to say thanks for the details (and the intention)!

Unfortunately, this does not work on my F2-220 (4.2.39).
Everything went fine up until the point where you said:
"Start the Docker service by running the command dockerd"

Unfortunately docker doesn't run natively using the daemon.
TerraMaster runs the built-in installation using docker as a service. Hence we get the error:

[user@nas docker]# dockerd
bash: dockerd: command not found

My hunch is, you were able to get it up and running fine, but forgot to list the last critical step or two... ;)
@onpotis

Got it working, once I realized that I had to have screwed up the mv command. (found the newly extracted docker dir as a subdir of /usr/local/bin/)... :roll:

Once I compared the dir contents of /usr/local/bin/ and /usr/local/bin/docker, I realized both what I'd done, and what you intended to happen.

Still not sure how you got dockerd to work... :lol:

But after the folder fix, and a quick:
sudo service docker restart

I got a successful reply from:
docker -v
Docker version 23.0.3, build 3e7cbfd

Thank you again for the majority of the info in helping get this updated!
F2-220 (x86 flavored!)
jackyyy

Post by jackyyy »

onpotis wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 12:03 I'm trying to run a small Minecraft server off of my T2-210 running 4.2.41, which this https://hub.docker.com/r/itzg/minecraft-server docker image should work perfectly for (although I have tried others). Unfortunately when I press download in registry, it shows up in my images as downloading, but after a few seconds if I reload the images tab in Docker the image just.. disappears, gone. Not even an error message. In logs it just says the image event was downloading but it just didn't
I tried multiple images and they all do this, some images like ubuntu and python on the front page of registry download fine, but none of the minecraft ones I've tried have downloaded. I've tried pulling and running them via the SSH terminal on both the admin account using sudo and root account, but then it says "Error response from daemon: manifest for itzg/minecraft-server:latest not found" or whatever depending on what version or image I try to download.

Me and my friend think it's because docker is on a really old version, so I tried updating docker and docker-compose with pip in the SSH terminal but it still does not work.
When the USER presses download in the Docker registry, the image appears to download, but then disappears without any error message.

It is not clear from the context whether the USER has tried to pull the itzg/minecraft-server image using the "docker pull" command in the SSH terminal. It might be worth trying this method to see if it works. The command should be:

docker pull itzg/minecraft-server
If the USER encounters the error message "Error response from daemon: manifest for itzg/minecraft-server:latest not found", it is possible that the latest version of the image is not available for the architecture of the T2-210. In this case, the USER might need to specify a different tag for the image, such as:

docker pull itzg/minecraft-server:1.16.5
This will download version 1.16.5 of the itzg/minecraft-server image, which should work on the T2-210 architecture.

If neither of these solutions work, it might be helpful for the USER to seek further assistance from the Docker community or the creator of the itzg/minecraft-server image.
TJ27sk
Russia

Post by TJ27sk »

I make tpk file for latest docker. 24.0.1. (F2-210 arm TOS 4.2.41)
Almost everything works: only host network (bridge don't working), docker stats view CPU and RAM usage 0%.
Other than that, all containers work. Maybe somehow you can fix it?