Plex in Docker?? - Please Help

Discussion about Docker
MissionAborted

Plex in Docker?? - Please Help

Post by MissionAborted »

Hi everyone,

I am constantly having problems with Plex on Terarmaster (F4-220), as has widely been discussed on these forums. I'm really tired of having to uninstall and re-install Plex, re-add libraries etc. I have found no solution and neither Terramaster nor Plex have been much help.

I have heard Plex in Docker works well, but I am completely new to Docker and have limited working knowledge of these sorts of applications and coding. I am hoping someone could provide a step by step guide to how to set up and use Plex in Docker.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Regards,
sports_wook

Re: Plex in Docker?? - Please Help

Post by sports_wook »

This will show you how to enable hardware transcoding in Plex running through docker. It also has a link to the linuxserver dockerhub guide, which is what I followed to when I switched to running Plex through docker. Haven't had to re-add libraries or anything since and it's running flawlessly. If you also setup the watchtower container it will keep your Plex container up to date automatically.

viewtopic.php?t=2236
MissionAborted

Post by MissionAborted »

Thank you so much sports_wook. I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I currently have Emby installed on all my devices as well, so that is a great backup, but I like the look and feel of Plex better, so am looking forward to running it in docker. Thanks again! :)
deejc

Post by deejc »

If you use the latest version from the plex website I am finding it rock solid so far
F2-220 WITH 2 x WD RED 2TB RUNNING 4.2.17
MissionAborted

Post by MissionAborted »

deejc - What did you download? There is no download link to Plex for Terramaster on the Plex website. I am currently running the latest plex version available in Terramaster applications and get the same old trouble... "configuring" every two days and I have to uninstall and re-install.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
deejc

Post by deejc »

MissionAborted

Post by MissionAborted »

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help everyone!
MissionAborted

Post by MissionAborted »

Tried installing from the Plex website (version 1.25.0.5282 - November 2021) but this did not work. As soon as it was installed, I could not open from within TOS, as it would not connect / refused connection. I was given the option to "update" in Terramaster applications, but this actually rolled Plex back to version 1.24.1.4931 (August 2021)

I am now back to uninstalling and re-installing. I appreciate the suggestion deejc. Is there anything else I needed to do to get version 1.25.0.5282 working in TOS?

I am starting to look into the Docker method, but am a little confused so far, as I have very limited experience with coding. Going to give it all a re-read as soon as possible, but if the Plex site installation is easier and equally as stable, I'd probably go that route.
deejc

Post by deejc »

Not really sure what else you can do except completely remove / uninstall it then try only installing the downloaded version … you’ll probably lose your database tho
V8Triker
Great Britain

Post by V8Triker »

Just to add to this tread, I have just installed Plex on Docker.
These were my steps, for the base install
  • Initiate Docker from the TOS Applications. Do not add the Plex container.
  • Start a puTTY session, logging in with your standard credentials
The Plex container should now exist within the TOS Docker application, and your Plex install should work.

I then changed the path to my Movies (to my existing path outside of Docker) using the TOS Docker application. (Container - Edit - Volume).

Tip: If you have an existing Plex application running, dont forget to stop it before starting the Docker one :)
Bikers know why dogs stick their head out the window.

TNAS F5-221
TOS 4.2.39-2203011626
3X WD RED PLUS 3TB (RAID5)
2X WD Green 2TB (RAID1)
1X WD 4TB USB