How to use docker compose YML-file in TOS/Docker app?

Discussion about Docker
bassqualle

How to use docker compose YML-file in TOS/Docker app?

Post by bassqualle »

Hello,

it is great to hear that docker compose is supported by Terramaster: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1164&p=7034#p5847

However, I want to start a container specified in a docker compose YML-file. I can do this on my local environment using the docker command via CLI. What is the preferred way to use the docker compose YML-file with my TNAS? How could I pass the YML-file to my TNAS and have the NAS to launch my docker container using the YML-file? Can you help me?

I am missing some documentation in this regards.

I use
- F4-220
- TOS 4.1.30-2008051459
- Docker app 17.05.5

Thanks.
bassqualle

Re: How to use docker compose YML-file in TOS/Docker app?

Post by bassqualle »

Hello all readers,

after I've read the announcement that docker compose is supported by TOS I was somehow expecting TOS to provide less-technical admin users a GUI-supported way to deploy and administrate docker containers based on docker compose files. This is not the case, but it works of course the technical way.

The steps are roughly:

Prerequisite: Prepare docker-compose.yml file on your local environment and copy it onto your TNAS device, where you can access it via shell.
1. SSH login via root
2. CDir into the folder, where the docker-compose.yml file is located
3. Run

Code: Select all

docker-compose up
This will initialize the download of the image(s) and setzp of the containers. Once this is complete, it launches the docker services.

If you specify

Code: Select all

restart: "unless-stopped"
the docker service will be automatically restarted once the system starts up. More info is available at docker here: https://docs.docker.com/config/containe ... matically/