Dropbox Sync does not sync until "restarted"...

Discussion about CloudSync.
Budo68

Dropbox Sync does not sync until "restarted"...

Post by Budo68 »

Hello, I'm using Dropbox Sync to backup some shared folders to Dropbox.

I have 1 connection to my dropbox account with 3 activities defined.

The connection's status is "Connected"

Each Activitie's status is "Active"

If i change or add or remove files using TOS FileManager, dropbox sync correctly every change.

When I change something from my pc (on network connected drive - SMB share), Dropbox does not sync anything.

Then, if I "Pause/Restart Sync" or "Disconnect/Reconnect connection" or "Stop/Restart actions" dropbox sync everything needed...

It seems that "Dropbox Sync" does not recognize changes made by connected devices...
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Dropbox Sync does not sync until "restarted"...

Post by TMS »

Please advise your TNAS model number and cutrrent TOS version,we will verify it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Budo68

Post by Budo68 »

F4-210
TOS 4.2.06-2011031755
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Budo68 wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 19:52
When I change something from my pc (on network connected drive - SMB share), Dropbox does not sync anything.
Under normal circumstances, synchronization from pc will be detected in half an hour.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Budo68

Post by Budo68 »

I'm sorry, but that's not what happens..

It's not a constant behavior but, often, even files uploaded days earlier aren't uploaded to dropbox..

In addition (even when files are uploaded), sometimes new/modified files are not listed in the LOG anyway.

The only thing I'm sure of is that by suspending and restarting synchronization, the files are immediately synced.

This type of unpredictability, combined with the superficiality of the provided log and the almost total absence of configurability of the service, is truly unacceptable and makes "Dropbox Sync" absolutely useless, forcing me, daily, to check the status of the synchronization.

Also, when I stop and restart sync, "Dropbox Sync" consumes all available upload bandwidth until it's done with its work. In this regard, I posted a suggestion for a new feature to add (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1203&p=6074#p6074).

The product is really good and its price/quality ratio is great but, some of the apps (Dropbox Sync, OneDrive Sync, Duple Backup), despite being of vital importance for data security, are really "primitive" and have too few configuration options.

The essential improvements to be made to these apps are quite trivial but, without them, users may be forced to look for alternative products that take more into account "cloud" technologies.
emil79it

Post by emil79it »

The same thing that happen to me on my F2-210 version 4.1.32-2008031214

On Dorpbox and Google Drive I've to stop and restart sync (always bidi) to replace sync.

I'm worried becuse i risk to loose files, that is the first reason i bought a NAS.

it it possible to do something to solve it?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

We are improving the synchronization mechanism of synchronous applications.
Budo68

Post by Budo68 »

Since you are working on it, I have a few more bugs to report and some other suggestions for developments...

First of all, most of users need to SYNC FROM NAS TO CLOUD (for backup reason).
I think this is the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE to be well accomplished and I'm sure that users will be happy to having only that kind of synchronization working fine, instead of having three different types of it but not working at all...

For this reason, I will talk just about it...

Bugs:

- Sync failure
Often, changes are not uploaded to cloud... especially if they are made from a workstation (using a Samba share and not on TOS with "File Manager").
You must disconnect/reconnect the app to make it works and sync all...

- Multiple Sync
Some files are uploaded to cloud even if they've not changed.

- Missing LOG
Often, the NAS sync a file to cloud, but it does not write a line in the LOG.

- Poor LOG
The LOG contains to few informations.

- Unpredictable Sync time
The NAS decide autonomously when (and what) to sync.
That is not good. It could choose a bad moment to do it... even when you need your bandwidth for a video conference with your boss !!!

Requested features:

- Bandwidth Configuration Option (optionally with different limits on time schedule)
- Download Limit
- Upload Limit

- Syncronization Mode (Task Configuration Option)
- Immediate - Sync to cloud is fired by events (create, change or delete) on files/folders
- Scheduled - Sync to cloud is fired on a specific schedule (like Windows Task Scheduler)
- Manually - Sync to cloud is fired on user request

- Comparison (Task Configuration Option)
- Ignore 1 hour (exactly) difference (true/false) (for daylight saving time)
- Include Hidden Files/Folders (true/false)
- Include System Files/Folders (true/false)

- Extended LOG
The LOG should contain AT LEAST:
- Date/Time of action
- Type of Action (Added, Updated, Deleted)
- Full pathname of the file (If deleted, the original pathname.. the once on the cloud that has to be deleted)
- Size of the file (none if a folder)
- Status of action (Success / Failure)
- Reason of failure

I hope this post will be usefull for your team.

Best regards.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Budo68
Thank you! we keep improving these app, and will release new update recently to fix some issues.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
panzupa

Post by panzupa »

@TMS @TMroy

I noticed the same problems on my F2-221 with TOS version 4.2.07-2012241608.

Moreover, they happen to all sync applications: Dropbox, Mega.nz, GoogleDrive, OneDrive.
Basically, after initial setup of connection application works and downloads files from cloud. Afterwards, it does not sync at all.

It doesn't work in the following use cases for all 4 services mentioned above:
1. File changed in the cloud - using dropbox.com site I created a folder - it never appeared on TNAS
2. Creating folder using TNAS file manager - it was not synced to the cloud
3. Creating folder from PC, Samba share - folder was not synced to the cloud

Even though I made tests now, logs in all 4 connectors don't show any changes made today. The newest records are from 3 days ago.