Nextcloud - security and setup warnings plus updating

Discussion about CloudSync.
yerc1

Re: Nextcloud - security and setup warnings plus updating

Post by yerc1 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

It's been 2 months.
Do you have any news from speaking with your managers?
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

JayBlingham wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 06:42
yerc1 wrote: 15 Jan 2021, 06:35 TM Support, I also want to add to what Jay just posted.

In relation to the deafening silence on Nextcloud, please remember that TM customers need information to guide their decision-making. If there's no update coming, just let us know together with the reason why. You and everyone in this forum are mature individuals who can manage news, whether good or bad.
Fantastic point @yerc1. If the answer is "no we can't/won't focus on this now", then please just be forthcoming. We're all adults here. This will give us the information needed to make an informed decision to either remove the software and look for a solution using Docker, or look for alternative means to host/implement. Although I must reiterate, there should be some investment in the efforts to maintain current (supported) versions of the software you offer in your "app store". To me, this is a make-it-or-break-it item that customers will notice, and should be a core dedication along side bug fixes, and OS enhancements.
18 Jan 2021 - TM support said they were going to "look into this" with their managers
15 Mar 2021 - I asked for any update
To date, TM is still offering the out-of-support Docker app and not a word on what they have done and will do moving forward.
F2-221
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

Correction... I meant "To date, TM is still offering an out-of-support Nextcloud app and not a word on what they have done and will do moving forward."

The oldest supported version is 19.0 according to https://github.com/nextcloud/server/wik ... e-Schedule
F2-221
Jesuralem

Post by Jesuralem »

I just installer nextcloud and was quite happy with it until i realized it was totally outdated...
This is a major issue for an app that has to be published on the internet.

Anyone trid with the docker image ?
Penegal

Post by Penegal »

Jesuralem wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 18:05 I just installer nextcloud and was quite happy with it until i realized it was totally outdated...
This is a major issue for an app that has to be published on the internet.

Anyone trid with the docker image ?
I'm also very interested in using NEXTCLOUD app and hope it can be added to the applications within Terramaster NAS packages.

@Terramaster
Any news on adding this image?

PLEX Media Server
1x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2, (Top Exhaust)
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T7-N, 2U (In) n (Out)
TP-Link TL-SG1016PE JetStream 16-Port Switch
F5-221
F5-442
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T9 3U, (In) n (Out)

I Want To Believe
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Only X86 models have nextcloud.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport

The main concern of this thread is how out of date the package for NextCloud is. Is there any news or updates on when, if at all, this package will be updated? I love my TM NAS, but one of the main areas for improvement is keeping the app catalogue up to date with current, security patched, software. As much as we understand that it takes a lot of time and effort to maintain these packages, leaving unmaintained packages on the store simply makes TM look bad. Especially when those packages get so old, and riddled with known security vulnerabilities, allowing unsuspecting users to install them and leave themselves at risk.

I think maybe new app development (not OS, but new apps) should take a back seat until the current offerings are updated. A process also needs to be created to ensure that these apps are updated in a timely manner. As much as it may be due to TM waiting on 3rd parties, it's not the 3rd parties that maintain the TM store. It is not our responsibility as TM users to chase after 3rd party software vendors to provide updates. There should be a team of individuals at TM who's job it is to keep these things updated.

I'll be the first one to say that I know nothing about running a software or hardware company. I simply know, as a user, what I've come to expect from mature products. All my suggestions above are meant to be constructive feedback, and not attacking in any way. I want TM to succeed, and these points are some of the reasons why when I recommend TM to my friends and colleagues, they end up going with one of your competitors.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
---------------------------------------
Penegal

Post by Penegal »

TMSupport wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 15:38 Only X86 models have nextcloud.
@TMSupport

Maybe I should have explained myself more clearly,... although I own a F5--221 and F5-422, I'm unwilling to use the Nextcloud app because of the security issues in relation to the App not being updated with the latest security patches, Etc,...

I have to mirror @JayBlingham and his feelings towards TM and NextCloud issues.

I'm currently at the point were I am afraid to use the Terramaster version of the NextCloud on any TM NAS and currently feel the need to use NextCloud on a Raspberry PI.

Does TM have plans working towards swiftly releasing security patches in relation to NextCloud app in the future?
I ask because I I need to expand my NextCloud storage and not sure whether I should wait for TM or to carry on using my Raspberry Pi.

It's a shame, because i really do love my TM NAS machines, but unable to use them to their full potential with the security issues unresolved.
Not a great look for people contemplating on buying a Terramaster brand for personal Cloud Storage.

PLEX Media Server
1x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T2, (Top Exhaust)
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T7-N, 2U (In) n (Out)
TP-Link TL-SG1016PE JetStream 16-Port Switch
F5-221
F5-442
2x AC Infinity CLOUDPLATE T9 3U, (In) n (Out)

I Want To Believe
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the feedback and explanation. I will chase the technician about update of nextcloud here. If any news, will keep you informed.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)