USB Copy and Formatted USB HD

Discussion about USB Copy.
IPaILIU

USB Copy and Formatted USB HD

Post by IPaILIU »

Hello, I've tried all the format option available for the usb drive. Inizializing both from my Mac using utility disc and from the TOS directly (control panel external storage). I'm able to copy files on the USB drive in any case through the USB Copy app, and the backup seems to go smoothly. However in any case (with all the different ways to format the usb) once I detach the USB drive from the Terramaster and plug in to my Mac or another pc machine I'm able to see the contact of the USB drive. Basically the Mac tells me to initialise the drive and the PC doesn't even detect the drive.. I put it back to my terramaster and the backup is there... Basically only inside terra master I can see files... What could it be? Thank you
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: USB Copy and Formatted USB HD

Post by sianderson »

i believe the USB will have been reformatted to the EXT4 file system (regardless of what you formatted it in to start with), by default windows and Macs dont support EXT4, only linux natively does (which is the OS of the Nas Drive)

you can download extra apps to run on Windows \ MacOS that can read EXT4 drives, or boot up a machine with a Linux Live disc and you should be able to access it

while the USB is in the Nas Drive, you can look in control panel at external storage and it should tell you what its formatted in
CaptureNas2.PNG
CaptureNas2.PNG (6.24 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
F2-210

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: USB Copy and Formatted USB HD

Post by TMSupport »

Please safely reject the USB device from TNAS first and try again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)