USB Copy very slow

Discussion about USB Copy.
Daver

USB Copy very slow

Post by Daver »

Hello to all,

I did this weekend backups with USB Copy. Unfortunately this worked super slow, it took about 2 hours for about 30 GB. It seems to be a problem with the usage of System resources. As soon as i start the usb copy i get a notification that the system is sluggish and if i look up in system overview the CPU usage is between 90% and 100% all the time. If i am looking under processes USB copy uses only about 1% CPU and is the biggest user. There are no other process wich are running on the NAS. Has anyone else experienced this problem or has any idea how to fix?

Model: F2-223
TOS: 5.0.176-00227

Thanks for your help
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: USB Copy very slow

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Daver

your system may be doing btrfs file system defragment, this process will take some time, please wait for it to finish.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Daver

Post by Daver »

Thanks for your answer. This means a back-up speed von about 3-4 MB/s is normal when using BTRFS?
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Daver

You can go to Control Panel>System Information>Process to check what process is taking up the high CPU. As for the speed problem, you can try to back up a large file or replace the usb.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Daver

Post by Daver »

Unfortunately i did not found any solution for the problem. I am still back-up at a speed of 2-4 MB/s when using USB Copy. I tried with different USB HDDs wich all had no speedproblems when I used them directly on PC.
When I go to Controlpanel->Processes i found no PRocess which is using much CPU. If i add all processes i am below 4% of CPU usage. But if i am got to Controlpanel->Overview I see a CPU usage of 95% to 100% and a System load of 100%. I still think there is some kind of bug.

I also send a mail to tech support about 6 weeks ago but did not get an answer so far. If i will get one i will tell you. Maybe you are more lucky to find a solution, I would be happy about a solution too.
phuctran2312

Post by phuctran2312 »

Same problem to me, I can copy from my computer to Nas with speed 3-4 MB/s via Wifi and 10 MB/s via Lan cable. Hope someone can help because with this speed the Nas is useless
topo01
Germany

Post by topo01 »

Same here:
2-5 MB/s with a fairly fast 2TB USB HHD connected to the USB3 port of my F2-220 (5.1.33). Perhaps this problem stems from my full system partition (97.7%).
Now hoping that at least it will result in a complete backup so I can kill all and do the re-partitioning.
F2-220, TOS 5.1.123 (8GB system partition), Docker 2.0.16 (Nextcloud, AdGuard Home), Terra Photos 2.0.13
Daver

Post by Daver »

Just want to ask if anybody found a solution to this Problem. After some updates i am still at about 2 MB/s when doing a USB Backup. Backup is running now for about a week. I tried multiple time to get support over the last month, but never get an answer from the support team.
So this community seem to be the last chance before dumping the device. So any ideas are welcome.

Tanks Dave
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Daver wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 01:00 Just want to ask if anybody found a solution to this Problem. After some updates i am still at about 2 MB/s when doing a USB Backup. Backup is running now for about a week. I tried multiple time to get support over the last month, but never get an answer from the support team.
So this community seem to be the last chance before dumping the device. So any ideas are welcome.

Tanks Dave
Update your TOS version to the latest version 5.1.37 and try again.
update route:
5.0.176 -> 5.1.24 -> 5.1.34 -> 5.1.37
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
rdvines

Post by rdvines »

Incredible slow for me also. Direct connect to USB, 1T data USB3 backup is running about 30 some hours. I'm very unhappy with this turkey. Latest TOS version.