reformatting USB

Discussion about USB Copy.
sianderson
Great Britain

reformatting USB

Post by sianderson »

after reformatting a usb to change file systems, USB Copy now no longer recognises the USB, it says it has been removed

which i can go with as its now got a different file system on it, however there is no way to edit the backup tasks so i now have to delete and re-create 8 tasks, because the edit option is greyed out to just update the target of the backup
F2-210

TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: reformatting USB

Post by TMS »

What is the file system of the USB before and after you change it?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson
As soon as you reformat the USB to a different file system, you actually changed the flag of the USB so that the previous copy tasks in USB Copy not more match with the device.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

it was EXT4 and its now ExFat, the drive has not been disconnected from the F2-210 as it was formatted by the nas drive (but should now be readable by a windows PC directly)

i understand that it is reading them as two different drives, but my point is there is no way to edit the backup task to repoint it to the new drive, once it detects that it is no longer there! and since it has been reformatted there is no way to fool it into thinking it is there again, the edit option in USB Copy is greyed out if it doesnt think the target USB drive is connected, which i think is wrong, i should be able to edit the backup job and change its target to a device that is connected

i guess in forward knowledge i should have edited it to another usb target first, then formatted the original one to then point back to it, but i really shouldnt have to do work arounds like that just to allow the system to edit the target of the backup job
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

To the TNAS system, actually you plugged in a new USB device, a total different device, the new device can be a pen drive, can be a SSD, can be an external hard drive with bigger capacity. you know what you plug in, but the system doesn't. I am sorry to tell you can't transfer the copy task between different usb devices.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMroy wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 09:44 To the TNAS system, actually you plugged in a new USB device, a total different device, the new device can be a pen drive, can be a SSD, can be an external hard drive with bigger capacity. you know what you plug in, but the system doesn't. I am sorry to tell you can't transfer the copy task between different usb devices.
please can you resolve this for a future version? the source has remained the same but the destination has changed, if the system detects the original destination you can change it to another destination, so i think it is reasonable to suggest that you can change the destination if it doesnt detect the original one, or are you really telling me that if you had 100 backup tasks and a USB hard drive fails you would expect someone to delete and recreate 100 backup tasks again just because they replaced the USB drive?
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson
I believe you did not realize your demand is so complicated and impossible.
as I told you, you can recognize your USB device, but the system can't. After reformatting, to the system, your device is total new now. and you want to keep the backup tasks and migrate them to the new device, first of you need to erase the previews flag for each task, and you need to reset the backup destination folders one by one, and you need to manage different backup mode for each task, like incremental and multi versions backup, no doubt incremental is not possible to continue, it has to be run over again, but where to restart? at the meanwhile, there are a lot of potential conflicts that may happen. So many works, why not just rebuild new tasks, your data is gone on the new device anyway.

I can report to the tech team, even though I have no hope from them.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

so why can you edit a back up task in the first place?, you do not seem to be understanding the only thing that has changed here is the destination

you can edit EVERY detail of the backup task if it recognises the destination INCLUDING selecting a new destination, so why is it disabled when it cant recognise the destination?

what you say does not make any sense whatsoever because you CAN EDIT when it is recognised (its not like i am asking for something that the system cant already do)

the point is why do i have to delete each task, wait for the screen to reload (which is slow), create a new task (again wait for the screen to reload)
when surely i should just be able to select the existing backup task and EDIT it to the new destination (LIKE I CAN WHEN IT IS RECOGNISED)

why can i see this screen when its recognised and i cant when its not as i should be able to select a new destination if its not recognised?
CaptureTM.PNG
F2-210

sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

TMroy wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 23:01 I can report to the tech team, even though I have no hope from them.
wow even TM Staff have given up on their own company, says a lot really
F2-210

sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

ive now discovered the joys of exFat default alocation block sizes which means i now have to re-format it as NTFS which has a 4k size instead of 256k so i can actually fit my data onto the USB

so now i have to delete all these backup tasks again once i re-format the usb to NTFS using my computer
F2-210