usb hard drive data corruption !!

Discussion about USB Copy.
sianderson
Great Britain

usb hard drive data corruption !!

Post by sianderson »

usb copy backup tasks have just completely screwed up the backup, makes the backup fairly useless if this is going to be repeated every so often

I have around 7 backup tasks, each backing up different shared folder to USB every day, this has been working flawlessly since august

the nas drive has been working for 26 days straight, the only thing I have done was installed clam antivirus yesterday (other than I have been no where near the config especially nothing to do with the backup process)

and I have also recently checked the USB backup and last nights backup seems to have ignored the folders and decided to merge backups into the root of the USB drive, it seems to have completely ignored the shared folder name (I'm fairly confident not all of them have been backed up also due to this bug as its set to mirror so wiped the previous tasks data !!!!)

formatted the USB drive and set a small task to execute, and the same thing happened again backed up to the root folder instead of a sub folder, there is absolutely no way I have edited 7 backup tasks and removed the folder from the backup task !!!
F2-210

sianderson
Great Britain

Re: usb hard drive data corruption !!

Post by sianderson »

just as an update, i have had to manually create the folders on the USB drive and delete and recreate the tasks and then specify the folder I have just created and its backing up as expected

I really don't know what would have changed (I never had to create the folders to start with USB Copy would create them itself) i am using 1.5.3
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Really? there is no new release for USB copy app in this month, did you find the USB device name or path changed? did you use your USB device on other device which changed the USB property?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

this is what is really confusing, i cant see that anything changed

no the drive stays plugged into the nas drive in the cupboard i haven't plugged it into another computer as it was ext4 and doesn't read naturally on windows computers so the only way for me to read the data is through the nas drive as I don't have any Linux based computers, only thing is its on a smart switch that turns on and off in time for the backup, but has a few hours gap after the backup finishes so it wont have been copying any data at the time, and hasn't been an issue for all this time

but the act of the USB drive turning off should not be changing the backup destination settings if it was backing up to /data it should still try and backup to /data on the USB drive regardless of whether a new drive was plugged in or not

after formatting it I have no chosen ex-fat to give me the freedom of plugging it into windows (that's the theory) but this would only be used in disaster recovery situation, and USB copy then told me that the USB device was not plugged in (so i had to delete and recreate the backup tasks so that it would see the USB drive), so for me to be able to try running the backup again it must have identified it as the original one
F2-210

sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

so i noticed another issue that even though backup tasks were running, it was creating folders but not actually transferring any files

I have since re-formatted the USB drive back to EXT4 and uninstalled clam antivirus, the system is now behaving correctly it seems that USB Copy and CLAM antivirus doesn't play nicely together (even if it is only set to backup a folder containing word documents that I have created)
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

we will verify it and fix it if there is a compatility issue between USB copy and antivirus app.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)