Hard Drive Compatibility List: Exos

Discussion on apps, protocols, APIs, specifications, and more. You are welcome to join us as a TOS app developer!
bidmead
Great Britain

Hard Drive Compatibility List: Exos

Post by bidmead »

Do we know why Exos drives are listed here as "Applicable, not recommended"? This could be read as "Don't use, although you can."

I take it that the Exos range of drives are overkill for consumer and SMB NASes, which actually is why I'd be inclined to recommend them. But I would very much welcome any counter-argument.

--
Chris
rightLANE

Re: Hard Drive Compatibility List: Exos

Post by rightLANE »

From what I read right before I ordered my drives, it just sounded like they were a little louder than others. I've been running a pair of 10TB X10 drives in my F2-221 for 15 months and have yet to run into any issues or notice any performance differences from the ironwolfs I was using before. As I noted in the thread below, sure, based on my ear they may be slightly louder than a pair of ironwolfs, but those drives weren't particularly quite and the difference wasn't enough to change things one way or the other for me. Obviously, this is just my opinion so I'd also be interested if there was a more scientific answer, but at this point I'm not going to replace these drives until I have a reason other than the EXOS name.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2037&p=11689#p11689
F2-221 2x 10TB Exos X14