[ UrBackup ] Client/server backup system

Discussion on apps, protocols, APIs, specifications, and more. You are welcome to join us as a TOS app developer!
outkastm

[ UrBackup ] Client/server backup system

Post by outkastm »

About : https://www.urbackup.org

Applicable models: TerraMaster x.64 series
Applicable TOS4: 4.1.27 or later versions
Applicable TOS5: 5.0.135 or later versions
App download: https://tmnascommunity.eu/download/urbackup

Module WebUI for additional settings can be accesses at:
http(s)://yournasip:port/modules/UrBackup/www

How to manully install this app on TerraMaster application store?

About:

What is UrBackup?

UrBackup is an easy to setup Open Source client/server backup system, that through a combination of image and file backups accomplishes both data safety and a fast restoration time.
File and image backups are made while the system is running without interrupting current processes.
UrBackup also continuously watches folders you want backed up in order to quickly find differences to previous backups. Because of that, incremental file backups are really fast.
Your files can be restored through the web interface, via the client or the Windows Explorer while the backups of drive volumes can be restored with a bootable CD or USB-Stick (bare metal restore).
A web interface makes setting up your own backup server really easy. For a quick impression please look at the screenshots here.
Currently there are over 7000 running UrBackup server instances (with auto-update enabled) with some instances having hundreds of active clients.

Full feature list

Full and incremental image and file backups: Whole partitions can be saved as well as single directories
Clients for Windows, Linux and Max OS X
Fast calculation of file tree differences leads to very fast incremental file backups - only new changed files will be retransmitted
Only used and changed hard disk sectors are transmitted during an incremental image backup
Image and file backups while the system is running
Conistent backups of used files on Windows and Linux. For example Outlook .pst files
Same files on different computers are saved only once. Less server storage space is needed for your backups (file level deduplication)
Clients can change their settings like backup frequency or number of backups and can take a look at logfiles of their backups
Next to no configuration. Install, select the directories you want to backup and watch it backup
Client warns if there was no backup for some time
Webinterface that shows the status of the clients, current activities and statistics. It allows the administrator to change backup settings and override the settings for the clients. Existing file backups can be browsed, files from these backups can be extracted or restore processes started
Reports about backups can be send to users or administrators
Secure and efficient backups to your own server via Internet if the client is currently not in your local network
File metadata such as last modified time is backed up
Easy to use file and image restore (via restore CD/USB stick)
Easy to configure and use file backup access

Limitations

Image backups only work with NTFS formated volumes and with the Windows client. The drives must be MBR or GPT partitioned, the partition must be a primary one. Dynamic volumes are not supported. Mirrored dynamic volumes work, but are not officially supported. Backup to VHD files only works for volumes with a size of less than 2TB.

titanrx8

Re: [ UrBackup ][ 2.4.13.0 ] Client/server backup system

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}outkastm

Are you the developer?

Will this create a bootable image backup for Win10? When I tried to do this with the TOS backup the results wouldn't work.
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

I'm not the developer of the app, i just compile the app and pack it to be installed on TOS.
According to the website it suports creating the bootable WIN10 image.

They even provide a LIVE restauration CD/USB
https://www.urbackup.org/download.html#restore_cd
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}outkastm

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Moving from a WNT based NAS to a Linux based NAS, I've lost a lot of the seamless WIN PC backup capabilities. After running the built-in WIN7 system backup for files and system image onto TOS, I discovered upon testing that the TOS-stored images wouldn't restore a PC so the search for a reliable method guess on.
pedfuego

Post by pedfuego »

This app doesn't work in my nas F2-221. There is a white scrren with "no access" error. Is there some way to fix it?
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

I will release an update today
outkastm

Re: [ UrBackup ][ 2.4.13.1 ] Client/server backup system

Post by outkastm »

up to 2.4.13.1
outkastm

Re: [ UrBackup ][ 2.4.15.0 ] Client/server backup system

Post by outkastm »

up to 2.4.15.0
kennethmb

Post by kennethmb »

Looking forward to a TOS5 package for this.

Are you interested in having help maintaining some of these packages?
outkastm

Post by outkastm »

Will be done, only that the TOS5 developing tool was released last Friday and I'm on holiday this week with no access to my laptop