Unable to discover my F5-221

TNAS PC for Windows and macOS, TNAS mobile for iOS and Android, and smart TV application and clients.
sts41

Unable to discover my F5-221

Post by sts41 »

This morning I was foolish and decided to update my TOS... well let's just say that went downhill very quickly.
No I am just trying to reload the new version of the software, but my NAS is not requesting an IP from my DHCP.

I tried many time to connect to it with TNAS PC and I don't see any new IP requests in DHCP when I remove the drives and startup the NAS.

Is there some sort of hard reset you can do? A way to force it to look for an IP in DHCP?

Any help would be appreciated.
sts41

Re: Unable to discover my F5-221

Post by sts41 »

Update
I connected the NAS and my laptop to a router with no other devices. My laptop picked up an IP right away, and the NAS did not.
I have tried cables and different port, but I just can get this thing to connect to the TNAS PC program, or pick up an IP from the router.

Does anyone know what the recessed momentary push button located in the back of the unit does?

Thanks Steve
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Steve,

If you log into your router you should be able to see a list of client devices including your NAS.
Also try rebooting your router, as the DHCP/IP table may have become corrupted. after that reboot your NAS, that way a new IP address should be generated.
On a Mac is use LANscan, it shows all the devices on a LAN, (IP address, vendor etc).
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
sts41

Post by sts41 »

Like I said, I connected both the NAS and my laptop to an independent router. My laptop received an IP and shows up in the DHCP table, but the NAS does not.
It appears to be bricked. I will get a hold of Support and see if there is a way to re-flash the firmware.

Thanks Steve
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Try removing the drives, letting it boot up and see if you can log in then, then do a reinstall, it not you might have a corrupted USB boot loader (There is a post here viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&start=30 )
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Strangely, I just had the same issue after downgrading from 5.0 to 4.0

1. I switched off NAS
2. downloaded TOS 4.0 from site
3. disconnected all but one of the ethernet ports on back of NAS.
4. Pulled the drives
5. Switched back on and logged into the IP address assigned by DHCP server (192.168.1.228),
6. Reinstalled bootloader via prompt
7 Selected custom install
8. Waited for drive check to complete
9. Selected TSNAS 4.0 and uploaded
10. Rebooted.

And nothing, when I checked the NAS had decided its ip would be in the 169.x.x.x range. Which was odd. Obviously I couldn't log in.
So I logged into DHCP server and manually assigned the MAC address of the NAS to 192.168.1.228

I am just doing steps 1-10 again to see if that has resolved the issue.
sts41

Post by sts41 »

Thank you VERY much Charlie_Croker... The USB Boot loader was the solution. I will update the instructions since they are kind of muddled and may be confusing and out of date.
I did not even know there was a USB drive as a startup/boot device... And I have had an issue since day 1 with the TNAS PC discovery... But after fixing the USB Drive, TNAS PC was able to discover it no matter what the condition of the network setup.
First I will add a link to the original post again: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1455&start=30

So I started with Centos 7 and it will not work without some changes and fixing to the script. It may work with Centos 6, but I do not have a version to check with. Problem here is /sbin/grub-install Make sure whatever Linux version you use... the file is there. With my Centos 7, the grub-install is called grub2-install... So save the headache and use Ubuntu... I used version 20 and it worked fine.

I am going to add what I did, just in case someone finds the original instructions confusing. I will assume some knowledge of Linux though.

Updated instructions:
Start without the usb inserted.
Login to Ubuntu as root
make sure nothing is mounted to either /mnt or /media (df -h or mount) If so umount any devices mounted to those spots.
cd /mnt
wget https://download2.terra-master.com/bzImage.zip
unzip bzImage.zip
chmod +x make_install
chmod +x grub.cfg

Insert you USB drive and check that it auto mounted (df -h or mount)
./make_install bzImage

There will be some warning and they are OK... But make sure there are no errors after:

Installation Finished. no error reported.
#######done###################

Your done and can remove the USB drive.

Good Luck Steve
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Thanks for the update Steve, glad you managed to fix it and thanks for the updated instructions. :)

Charlie