TOS Desktop timeout

Initialization of newly purchased TNAS or re-installation of your TNAS
yerc1

TOS Desktop timeout

Post by yerc1 »

I understand that login to the TOS Desktop times out, for security reasons.

At the the moment its behaviour is to log the user out and show a blank login page.
The user would then try to log in and is met instead with "User token has expired! Please try again."

The user experience can be improved significantly by changing the process this way:
  • When TOS Desktop times out, it dispays a message which could be something like "We have loggged you out after x minutes of inactivity, to protect you"
  • User clicks a button to dismiss the message and is presented with a login page ready to accept user details.
Makes sense?

One more thing @TerraMaster.
I have dismissed this previously thinking surely it would be corrected soon.
I am now 3 months from first using my TNAS and I'm getting across more and more areas needing polish, which is very frustrating. Some issues I brought to TM attention, others I didn't.
One thing stands out - that the app developers (and their app testing colleagues - do they have one?) are not answering the very important question: "What does the user/customer make of this?" - This is the root issue that TM needs to address

I said it before and let me say it again, I want TOS to be successful because I have invested into TM with my purchase of TNAS against all the negative feedback on TOS.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
sianderson
Great Britain

Re: TOS Desktop timeout

Post by sianderson »

can i just ask what are you doing to want to be logged into the TOS desktop for any great period of time?

isn't the idea that its just used as a configuration desktop page so once its configured you shouldn't need to log back in? or if you do its only for short period of time? also strangely I have not encountered this even when I was loading my F2-210 from the USB drive that took days I left my computer logged in so I could see the progress of the copy and it did just that and stayed logged in for me certainly for periods of a few hours etc
F2-210

TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

yerc1 wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 05:37 I understand that login to the TOS Desktop times out, for security reasons.

At the the moment its behaviour is to log the user out and show a blank login page.
The user would then try to log in and is met instead with "User token has expired! Please try again."

The user experience can be improved significantly by changing the process this way:
  • When TOS Desktop times out, it dispays a message which could be something like "We have loggged you out after x minutes of inactivity, to protect you"
  • User clicks a button to dismiss the message and is presented with a login page ready to accept user details.
Thank you for your investment, we will add it to our list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

sianderson wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 16:50 can i just ask what are you doing to want to be logged into the TOS desktop for any great period of time?

isn't the idea that its just used as a configuration desktop page so once its configured you shouldn't need to log back in? or if you do its only for short period of time? also strangely I have not encountered this even when I was loading my F2-210 from the USB drive that took days I left my computer logged in so I could see the progress of the copy and it did just that and stayed logged in for me certainly for periods of a few hours etc
Once users have everything set up completely for their nas, they can forget about TOS desktop.

Being a new nas user, I'm still setting my nas up one purpose at a time (example syncing, plex server, etc) and learning as I go. So I have TOS + SSH + browser (for researching) open as I work on the setup.

Great that you are not experiencing this. Made me wonder if I'm the only one, but a quick search just now showed mention of it here
F2-221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

yerc1 wrote: 11 Dec 2020, 02:34 Great that you are not experiencing this. Made me wonder if I'm the only one, but a quick search just now showed mention of it here
I've definitely seen this issue before, but thought it was supposed to be fixed in one of the most recent updates. I'm testing this now for myself, and will let you know what my experience is. In the meantime, what version of firmware are you running on your NAS?
Jay
---------------------------------------
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
JayBlingham

Post by JayBlingham »

Just confirmed, still timing out with current firmware version on F5-221.
Screenshot 2020-12-14 083838.png
Jay
F5-221, 5.0.171-00221
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

Thanks for confirming.

My NAS is on TOS 4.2.07-2011241531, for those who are interested in this issue.
F2-221
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

I'd like to give this request all the upvotes.

The web browser has diverted back to the login screen, so I'm well aware that I've timed out. Informing me that the token has expired is redundant, and making me re-enter my login details is annoying.

I've found that when I've timed out, if I refresh the login page, I don't get presented with the 'token expired' message.
However, would be great if it just logged you in without giving you that message.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

For the current version, you can select "Remember Me" on the login screen so that TOS will not log out automatically.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
justsimon

Post by justsimon »

Weird, I've selected "remember me" many times. The web interface still times out.

I have no problem with session timeouts, they're a good security measure.
What's not a good idea, and serves no purpose whatsoever, is the "Token Expired" message after you've entered credentials and clicked log in. I've not experienced this on any other website after you enter your credentials and click login.

A website might pop up with this type of message when you time out, then you click ok, enter your credentials and click login.
This works.

Saying your token expired after you've entered credentials and clicked login?
Why?

Return to “Initialization”